$_POST while loop array

xxreenaxx1

I am trying to post while loop array. But I dont know how to do this and I used foreach and it works for each array but doesnt loop this. My table has Que_ID, Question, choice1, choice2, choice3 and choice 4. I would like to do something like.. For each Que_id (choice1, choice2, choice3 , choice4), this should be looped for each que_id

so far I have

$counter = 1;
while( $info = mysql_fetch_array( $sqll ))
//))
{
echo "{$info['Que_ID']} <br />\n";
echo "<input type='hidden' name=\"Que_ID\" value=\"{$info['Que_ID']}\" /> ";
echo "{$info['Que_Question']} <br />\n";
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"choice[$counter]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice1']}\" /> ";
echo "{$info['Que_Choice1']} <br />\n";
$counter++;
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"choice[$counter]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice2']}\" /> ";
echo "{$info['Que_Choice2']} <br />\n";
$counter++;
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"choice[$counter]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice3']}\" /> ";
echo "{$info['Que_Choice3']} <br />\n";
$counter++;
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"choice[$counter]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice4']}\" /> ";
echo "{$info['Que_Choice4']} <br />\n";

$counter++;

How would go on to posting these while loop and display Que_ID and all the choices that are ticked for this que_ID and if its not ticked then its 0.

Hi xxreenaxx1,

Lets break this down into steps

1,) I am assuming $sqll is the result and not the actual query string ? If not make sure you pass the function mysql_fetch_array a result and not the query.

2.) If you want to return the array $info as $info['whateverColumnThisIs'] then you need to make use of the mysql_fetch_assoc and not mysql_fetch_array. using the later would produce $info[aNumber]['whateverColumnThisIs']

3.) Are you accepting more than one answer for each question ? if no then the checkboxes for each question should have the same name i.e. choiceForQueIdX or if you want to accept multiple answers per question you should use choiceForQueIdX[]. I dont understand why you are making use of a counter variable ?

4.) Get back yo me after making some changes to your code and answering these questions and then I can help you further

...2.) If you want to return the array $info as $info['whateverColumnThisIs'] then you need to make use of the mysql_fetch_assoc and not mysql_fetch_array. using the later would produce $info[aNumber]['whateverColumnThisIs']...

You must be getting mixed up with mysql_fetch_row() as mysql_fetch_array() works with both/either field name or relative index number.  So while it does work as $row[0], it also works with $row['fieldName']

anyway, I would like to see the whole code related to this as it is, particularly the part where the SQL query is assigned. Also, you have over-complicated your checkbox generation, you don't need the counter, and I would drop the curly braces as well, they are also unneeded.

The curly braces are indeed needed to avoid syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING

even though they are nested within a double quoted string rather than a single quoted one? :confused: never knew that to happen.  I assume it's an array thing, as I have never actualy tried to echo anything from an array in this manner I was just working under it being the same as if it was a single flat variable. my bad.

Thank you so much for your response

@ mhodge_txs

1, yes it is the result

<?php

$sql = ("SELECT * FROM user u,question q, test t
WHERE u.Use_ID = '{$_SESSION['username1']}'
    AND t.Sub_ID = '{$_SESSION['ssubject']}' 
AND  q.Tes_ID = t.Tes_ID
AND q.Tes_ID = {$_SESSION['smodule']}")
or die(mysql_error());

echo $sql;

$sqll = mysql_query($sql);

?>

2, I do want the $info to return array as choice1 to 4 is repeating. and this is why I created a counter so each time the while loop is process the name of the choice wouldnt be the same. Que_ID=1(choice1,choice2,choice3,choice4) second loop. Que_ID=2(choice5,choice6,choice7,choice8)

3, Yes I am accepting more then one answer. Because I want the name to be different or atleast add one number each time it loops the choices so when I call these choices each will have different value and names.  4, I am not sure what I should change.

@Muddy_Funster

I have shown my sql query on the top.

<html>
<body>
<form action="Test_Completed.php" method="POST">
<?PHP

include '../Database/take_an_exam.php';
//$intNumber = 1;]
$counter = 1;
while( $info = mysql_fetch_assoc( $sqll ))
//))
{
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"choice[$counter]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice1']}\" /> ";
$counter++;
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"choice[$counter]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice2']}\" /> ";
$counter++;
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"choice[$counter]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice3']}\" /> ";
$counter++;
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"choice[$counter]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice4']}\" /> ";

$counter++;
}

?>
<input type="submit" value="submit"/>

</form>
</body>

</html>

</body>

</html>

SQL

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `info` (
  `Que_ID` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `Que_Question` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `Que_Choice1` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `Que_Choice2` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `Que_Choice3` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `Que_Choice4` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`Que_ID`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=3 ;

INSERT INTO `info` (`Que_ID`, `Que_Question`, `Que_Choice1`, `Que_Choice2`, `Que_Choice3`, `Que_Choice4`) VALUES
(1, 'What Color is the sun', 'red', 'green', 'blue', 'white'),
(2, 'Are IPhones cool', 'yes', 'no', 'maybe', 'who cares');

PHP

<HTML>
<BODY>
<?php
if($_POST){
echo "<pre>";
	print_r($_POST);
echo "</pre>";
}else{
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbuser = 'Your_Username_Here';
$dbpass = 'Your_Password_Here';
$conn = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die ('Error connecting to mysql');
mysql_select_db('phpfreaks', $conn);
$query = 'SELECT * FROM info';
$result = mysql_query($query);
$counter = 1;
?>
<form action="<? echo $PHP_SELF; ?>" method="POST">
<?php 
while( $info = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))	{
	echo "<input type='hidden' name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}\" value=\"{$info['Que_ID']}\" /> ";
	echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}[]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice1']}\" /> ";
	echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}[]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice2']}\" /> ";
	echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}[]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice3']}\" /> ";
	echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}[]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice4']}\" /> ";
	$counter++;
}
?>
</form>
<?php mysql_close($conn); } ?>
</BODY>
</HTML>

This is a simple example of how I think it should be working.

@xxreenaxx1. You got two options. Either show me what you got now and I can help you go through the code to find out why its doing what you say it is, or create a new table called info in a test database importing the SQL I provided, and create a new index.php page with the php code I provided and then you can see whats happening.

I have tried your way.

<HTML>
<BODY>
<?php
if($_POST){	
echo "<pre>";		
print_r($_POST);	
echo "</pre>";}
else{	
$dbhost = 'localhost';	
$dbuser = 'root';	

$dbpass = '';	
$conn = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die ('Error connecting to mysql');	
mysql_select_db('test', $conn);	
$query = "SELECT * FROM test";	
$result = mysql_query($query);	
$counter = 1;?>	
<form action="<? echo $PHP_SELF; ?>" method="POST">	
<?php 	
while( $info = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))	{		
echo "<input type='hidden' name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}\" value=\"{$info['Que_ID']}\" /> ";		
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}[]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice1']}\" /> ";		
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}[]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice2']}\" /> ";		
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}[]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice3']}\" /> ";	
echo "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"Que_ID_{$info['Que_ID']}[]\" value=\"{$info['Que_Choice4']}\" /> ";	
$counter++;	}	?>
</form><?php mysql_close($conn); } ?>
</BODY>
</HTML>

this is the message I am getting

Array

(

[Que_ID] => 5

[choice] => Array

(

[2] => Array

(

[0] => on

)

)

[submit] => submit

)

output of your last post is not from your form code

are you shure that edit right file

i insert some coments in your code

i'm shure you can understund it

i think that is beter way to choice separeted wit questin

while( $info = mysql_fetch_array( $sqll ))
//))
{
echo "{$info['Que_ID']} <br />\n"; // i hope that is PK from your table
// name from this field must be array
//it's mean that name=\"Que_ID[]\" add [] to name
//transform name in 2 dimensinal array
//1st dimension is for which question is answer, and 2nd just for enable multliply answers
// name=\"choice[{$info['Que_ID']}][]\"
// if $info['Que_ID'] = 1 in $_POST['choice'][1] is array of all chcked ansvers for question with id=1
// $_POST['choice'][12] is array of all chcked ansvers for question with id=12 etc.
//warning! if noting checked for questinh x, $_POST['choice'][x] is not set
// if notin checked at all $_POST['choice'] is not set

I am kind of confused.

So far I can print the choices but not the Question ID according to that.

while($submit = $_POST['submit']){
$questionid= $_POST['Que_ID'];
echo "Question ID: $questionid";

foreach ($_POST["choice"] as $question => $answer) 
{ 

if($answer == NULL) 
{ $val=0;
}else{
$val = 1;
}

echo "choice id: $question. value: $val";
  }

}

For this code Question ID just get repeated by the last question. And its not meant to do that.

My form has been changed to

$intNum = 1;
$intnumber = 1;

while( $info = mysql_fetch_array( $sqll )){  
  echo " $intNum, {$info['Que_Question']} <br />\n"; 
   $intNum++;

for ($i =1; $i < 5; $i++) {  

echo "<input type=\"Radio\" name=\"choice{$info['Que_ID']}.{$i} []\" />{$info['Que_Choice'.$i]}<br />\n";  
  $intnumber++;
}
}
?>

<input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit">
</form> 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.