Select All Button

I dont know if this has been asked before or not but when someone makes a post and it shows up in the liitle box thing with the scrolling bars... is there not a way you can make a button to select all the text in that button to copy and paste into our php programs..

maybe you can all ready but i cant see it..

look forward to response.. thanks...

unfortunately, it's not such an easy task, even if we were to try and implement it. It would require javascript, and I'm not even sure that Javascript supports such an action.

However, there is something you can do - if you click the "Quote" button next to somebody's post, it'll copy their post content down to the Quick Reply box, and you can Ctrl + A from within the Quick Reply. Of course, you'll get the BBCode as well, but you can always clean that up.

or you could like, use your mouse to highlight what you want, then right click and click on copy.  or after highlighting, press Ctrl+C

[quote author=brown2005 link=topic=110489.msg446722#msg446722 date=1159980338]
thanks, nice to see someone that wants to help and explains....
[/quote]

well we aren't really here to explain how to use your OS and/or browser shortcuts either...do you really think we should go out of our way to make a new mod/hack for everybody's personal shortcut preference?

Ctrl+A will only work on textareas/textfields. When someone posts a code into a post it is not a textarea the submited code is in. Instead it is a div with an overflow, thus making the elusion of it being a textearea when scrollbars are there. Thats why Ctrl+A selects everything on the page.

You can do it with javascript. There is a method/function you can use. Seen it been done somewhere before. However I do agree that there is no point in having such a feature.

lol

p.s.- brown2005, if you really wanted to see your thing implemented, perhaps you should go to SMF's forum and make a suggestion there. Maybe they will implement it in future versions or maybe someone will make a mod.  In other words, the best place to ask for a change/addon for a script is to go the people who made it in the first place.

Actually... there is.  Everytime we made a mod like this it has to be meticulously cared for everytime we apply another mod or patch or upgrade.  It's not as if it's a technical issue.  It's a maintenance issue.

[quote author=fenway link=topic=110489.msg446860#msg446860 date=1159991688]
There's no reason that you can't do this with JS and dump the contents into the clipboard... at least for IE.
[/quote] I know that Firefox doesn't allow JS to cut/copy/paste anything. I'm not sure if it's a setting that you can disable, or if it's built in, but the fact that most PHP Freaks users do not use IE is reason enough to not bother with it.

[quote author=ober link=topic=110489.msg446872#msg446872 date=1159993574]
Actually... there is.  Everytime we made a mod like this it has to be meticulously cared for everytime we apply another mod or patch or upgrade.  It's not as if it's a technical issue.  It's a maintenance issue.
[/quote]
I should have said no "theoretical reason" ;-)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.