First Website

FrOzeN

Other than a few simple pages, this is the first website I've made. My friend made the template in photoshop and then I just saved the images from it, and turned the rest into css.

It still has some minor problems (incorrect widths) in IE, so I'm thinking to remove all the tables and switch them over to div's.

http://frozen.myprose.net/

Post feedback of what you think of the initial layout. It's aimed at being a large database of Prose and Poetry which users can submit, comment/critique/rate, and browse/search to view others. I'll also be adding user profiles, a Private Messaging System, and an additional option for users to have their own blog.

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. I followed the link, saw this beautiful website appear, and then I looked at the source. Here I was, hopes up that somebody actually designed something that looked excellent on the first try, and it's a template.

That aside, though, I think you should change the darker bars in the navigation to horizontal rather than vertical. The entirety of the rest of the site uses horizontal bars, and it doesn't look very good to have them mixed around.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=110502.msg446821#msg446821 date=1159988904]
it's not that bad, but what is it?  Why the need for the google ads? I can't begin to tell you how much it bothers me to seem them on everyone's page ALL THE TIME on a site that isn't even generating traffic or in need of revenue. 
[/quote]

The site Frozen is working is a site idea that he's working with me on. The Google ads were eventually going to be added, therefore I made sure the template could accommodate it. Of course there is no traffic - the site isn't complete nor is it launched. Need of revenue? Maybe not, but it helps to cover costs.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=110502.msg446828#msg446828 date=1159989559]
Well, I'm a bit disappointed. I followed the link, saw this beautiful website appear, and then I looked at the source. Here I was, hopes up that somebody actually designed something that looked excellent on the first try, and it's a template.
[/quote]
Seven-labs.net is just a website owned by my friend. He's doing the template/design for me, specifically for this site (not something that'll be reused elsewhere). He sent me the .psd which looked like [url=http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1733/templatehb4.gif]this[/url], and I've turned it into xhtml/css and added the menu and stuff. I haven't got around to adding the flowers at the bottom.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=110502.msg446828#msg446828 date=1159989559]
That aside, though, I think you should change the darker bars in the navigation to horizontal rather than vertical. The entirety of the rest of the site uses horizontal bars, and it doesn't look very good to have them mixed around.
[/quote]
Will do.

--
The Google Ads will be on the site later on, so I'm just adding them to get a rough idea of what they look like in the layout. I may give registered members a option to disable them.

PS: liQuid03x (poster above), is the person whom I'm building the site for. :)

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=110502.msg447399#msg447399 date=1160072978]
[quote author=oldmanice link=topic=110502.msg447367#msg447367 date=1160071364]
Nice Layout
[/quote]

erm... care to elaborate? Two word posts are really quite useless.
[/quote]
oldmanice, many of your recent posts have been a few words long, generally along the lines of 'its really nice!' even when (TBH) the site/work under the microscope needs some serious work doing to it. sure, you're not the only one, but c'mon chap - explain yourself a little and help these people out.

as for this site:
i'm not gonna comment too much on the goooooogle ads as it has been stated before, and i have a personal dislike to them anyway unless they're personally subtle.

however. its a nicely themed site and the colour scheme is (strangley) nice...the only thing i'm not sure on is the font used for the rest of the site, including the nav. it just doesnt have the "elegance" that the majority of the template gives across.
i'd also say that the logo text (myprose.net) could do with being just a tad darker, just to make it a bit easier to read. it kinda blends in too much with its background.
the links at the bottom need some work. i'd personally shrink the font size down a touch, and maybe remove the <a> underlines (ie, text-decoration:none).
otherwise, i'd be keen to see what it looks like with content/further images, as it can sometimes be quite tricky to get the idea.

hope that helps
Cheers
Mark

• 3 weeks later...
It looks good to me.  But I'm no html/CSS expert so I won't comment on that aspect of it.

I'm on WinXP Firefox.  Screen resolution is 1400 x 1050.

I'm attaching a jpg so you can see how it looks on my end.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.