Rookie needs help

csabi_fl

Hi.
I am building a website and I am stuck .
I have a form on one of my pages that has 5 fields(M,Tu,W,Th and F).Each field contains a question .Members have to answer each question in any particular order and one at a time.When they for instance answer question M and click on submit the answer goes into a table in my database.I use Mysql.Now the table has 6 columns :loginid,M,Tu,W,Th and F.
What I need is a code that inserts the data into the table one at a time and I want to have only one row,something like this:
loginid/answer to M/answer to Tu/answer to W/answer to Th/answer to F,
so everything is nice and neat.
And one more thing,I want to prevent them from sending in an answer to the same question twice.
Please help me out , I have been trying for about a month now with no success.
Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Well, first, I would discourage storing each question/answer pair as a separate column/value, since this is quite inflexible.  However, as far as your UPDATE statement is concerned, you could easily make sure the column was blank to begin with.  Alternatively, if you were to normalize the table, you could simply run INSERT IGNOREs with a proper UNIQUE key.

Sorry, my bad... instead of having multiple columns for each question, you should simply have loginid/question/answer as your columns.  That way, for each "answer", you simply INSERT a new row, with the loginid of the user, the question, and the answer value provided.  If you set up the table with a UNIQUE index on (loginid, question), then you won't be able to have multiple answers for a given question for a given user.  Hence INSERT IGNORE.  Does that make more sense?

It is in the documentation for INSERT syntax.  Basically, if you were to try and insert a record that would result in a duplicate result for a UNIQUE index, you would normally get an error.  This can often be useful, if you want to notify the user, for instance (like for logins/e-mails); however, in your case, it sounds like you don't care, so you can simply supress the error, and no new record will be inserted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.