Let's do it again.

crmamx

Radio Control Model Airplane Club

« on: February 09, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »

I asked for critiques on my site and here is what I got:

1. Well to say the least the website is seriously dated.

2. That is a very dated design.  I'd suggest an immediate revamp.

3. Frames and scrollbar's other than on the normal position are not very nice looking.

4. gizmola: You probably should do a test install and try and move over your current site, just to see how what would be involved. 

So I rewrote it and here is the new:

http://bayarearcsociety.com/index1.php

There is still some cleanup to do and a few little things here and there. Footer isn't finished, but other than that I am about done.

Except, the nav menu. Haven't figured out yet how to do a vertical drop down menu so as to cut the items down to 5 or 6 with sub-catagories. (problem posted in css help)

So what kind of grade do I get on the rewrite?

Now that's a far cry from the first one you posted. I'm getting the following error, though when I try to validate the page. File not found: http://www.bayarearcsociety.com/style.css: Not Found. It's probably a path or spelling issue, but I'll wait to make any comment until it's resolved since a missing stylesheet can (obviously) have a rather dramatic effect . . .

Update:

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the vertical drop down menu to work. The drop down links don't work yet...tomorrow.

Don't like the colors. Fooled with it a little and some colors displace the sub menu far right. Want to get back to the original colors. Don't like the size boxes either.

Anyway, proceed with my grade.  8)

Another update for late comers.

Today is yesterday's tomorrow so most links working.

Changed the links menu size.

Think I will leave the menu box colors the way they are. Opinion please.

Vote on header on home page: Bay Area Remote Control Society:

Line 1, 2, 3 or 4.

You have some spacing/padding issues: The two addresses, the second AMA image, and the little news items in the blue boxes.  The first is simply unaligned, while the other two have no gap between image/border and text.  I'm not sure if it looks right in Internet Explorer, but as a general tip, you should always develop towards a standards compliant browser (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) first, then tweak for IE after.

The menu itself is good, but I don't like how it's just floating there.  Way too much space between it and the header block, IMO.

What are your plans for the footer?  It's pretty huge right now.

Finally, when you're done developing, I recommend removing the W3C validation badge(s).  They don't add anything to your site, and chances are your users won't care (or even know) about proper CSS or HTML.  I get why a lot of new developers put them on their sites (I used to do it, too), but if your site has nothing to do with web development from a content POV, why put them on?

You have a fix-it list at the top of the site.  I'll refrain from critiquing your site further until you implement the changes, as you currently know which direction you are going. 

However, I would like to comment on this paragraph:

"Come out and visit with us. Bring your planes and fly as a guest. Here is information on Membership Procedures. If you would like information about joining us on a weekend EMAIL ME or call me at 251-591-7351. "

It is terribly phrased.

Good, bad or indifferent, it is on the air. For right now, I am sick of fooling with it.

It is functioning the way I want it to but it does not function the way I want it. Make sense of that.  :D

I could never figure out positioning of images and some text with css, so for now I am using tables. Will tackle that later. Of course you could offer some hints as how to do it.

Also, I could not get some of the classes in link custom.css to work on some of the pages. No idea why. So I had to use internal css.

I intend to incorporate the couple of comments posted so far. One said the footer is too big. What would you put in my footer?

So what would you do to improve it. All critique appreciated.

You can click on my little round ball thingy to view it.

For CSS positioning, you need to know two main things - the box model and document flow.  Googling those two terms should give you relevant links.  The basic gist is that block elements (like divs and images) are actually rendered as a series of boxes.  When you define an element's width and height, you're setting the size of its content area only.  There are still the element's padding, border, and margins to consider.  Any sizes mentioned there add to the overall size of the element.  So, even if you define an element to be 100px wide, it could be much larger in actuality.

Document flow - HTML is rendered according to certain rules.  Block elements are rendered with one above another, which is above the next, and so on.  Think paragraphs with the p tag.  CSS positioning allows you to break out of that vertical flow and align block elements anywhere you want.  Each kind of positioning does it in a different way.

For your footer, well normally your copyright would go there, perhaps some contact info.  Take a look around the web and see what others do.

well it's starting to look pretty nice, much better than that website you had earlier. Maybe apply some padding to the content in the footer (it now touches the edges) And maybe a nice image in the header, but on a scale from 1 to ten in relation to your previous website i give an 8. And like nightslyer said the boxmodel is of vital importance for layout.

You are too kind, especially when you are responsible for xx% of it.

I figured out the boxes and the box model. And pretty well understand the floats and positioning now, except:

Check the post on Clear Float. I know that is the problem but can't figure out how to do it.

And I would love to see you do a blog on Firebug for novices as suggested in the email.

Cheers

Coming along very nicely.  The nav looks nice and the layout as a whole looks simple and clear.  A couple things that catch my eye:

- Seems very spacey.  The left navigation has too much margin from the header and main content.

- The header & footer are blank.  I think this was mentioned before, but how about an image for the header and some more

Thanks Maq

Actually I have a list of the suggestions that "ya'll" have made and they all are good. I am working on them. Just figured out the box stuff and floats and got the two addresses on the home page like I want them.

Just so happens I am trying to put an image in the header but can't get it to work tho it looks pretty simple. Be on the lookout for a new topic. Except, I don't know if the problem is php or html. They both look right to me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.