Horse farm site.

lkbolt

I like the image, and i would use those colors in the rest of your design.

change the colour of the title (Oxford Farms)  it's madness to have this colour on such a nice background.

change the white on the menu, i would make it black for now. same is for the color of the background for main content.

the colors don't match the image.

Anyway, for a nice pony park i would have chosen a different layout, with grass green, leather brown, pretty much a spring country side. I mean that is what you sell right?

I have made some changes to site,  I would like some suggestions for colors for the outside edge of site and the div where the main content is.  I have also added KoschtIT Image Gallery to my site @ http://www.lightbolttech.com/ox/index.php?id=1 please check it out also and let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

now that's alot better than what you had at first. colors match this time!

although i would stretch out the middle orange till the bottom with a similar space like at the rigth side.

Also your menu, still has those default bullets and the underline. If you are interested in making it better maybe have a look here

the image provided on the landing page inside the "welcome to our site" section is terribly stretched and blurred.

The "Farm News" section should be as wide as the link section above.  It feels smashed in to fit.

I like the "Photos" page

You need some font variation in your "services" page.

The site loads extremely slowly.

The textarea in the contact section is extremely small.  I found the average amount of words typed per line is 5.

Everything in this area is out of consistency.

I also found that the page size shits when using the menu links on the side.

I also suggest darkening the background color a bit.  That red is very bright.

The site generally looks good, minus a few design flaws.  Remember that if your goal is to be a business, people generally will need to want to view your site before deciding to call or visit.

Thanks for the help i will try and widen the page a bit I feel the same way my problem is everytime I mess with one element in my css I usually end up having to change alot more than one setting.  I am going to keep working on it.  I appreciate you guys help very much.  P.S. The site has moved to its on domain www.oxfordfarm.com I will post back when I make a couple of changes thanks again.

Ok I have made some changes I have made the whole page container wider, I have made the img for the bullets in the menu section smaller.  I incorporated the main content background with the left side toolbar headings.  I adjusted margins and padding on just about all of my elements to make the page look not so cramped.  Please let me know what you think.  I really appreciate all of the help so far.  The site owner is working on the wording for all of the page right now so don't critique that there isn't a lot of wording and such just the overall layout and functionality thanks again.  www.oxfordfarm.com

Some of the images in the loop still look stretched/smushed.  You should re-size them in an image editor if you're going to force them all to be the same size.

The page actually takes a while to load.  Are you using sprites at all, or optimized images?

Also, I'd ditch the black background in conjunction with the textured bits in the main area, and either use the textured background or just the black, especially as the textured area grows/contracts with your content, which is a jarring effect.

Improve your footer.  Give it a larger margin from the content area, and do something with the copyright and link.  Also, remove the hit counter.  No one uses those today, and it's a clear sign of an amateur.  Similarly, I'd cut down a little on the margin separating your header from the content.  Reduce it by 5-10 pixels.

All that said, you're definitely on the right track.  Keep it up.

Thanks for the response.  I will makes some more adjustments and post back for more advice.  I am going to take all of the images on the main page and readjust the sizes and quality of the images where they look good and are optimized to load quicker.

I'd remove the left-hand menu altogether.  You have one repeated link there ('Contact Us'), and you really don't have enough to warrant a second menu.  'Boarding', 'Lessons', and 'Parties' should be options in a drop down list coming from 'Services'.

Shouldn't the Oxford Farm logo be somewhere at the top/in the header?  That's the client's branding, which is very important, and shouldn't be thrown in as an afterthought below the fold.  Incorporate it.

And, again, you need to do something with the footer.  Plain text with a hit counter (which, again, unless your client specifically told you to add, should be removed) doesn't cut it.  Add your logo, or your company's font.  If the client has any Facebook, Twitter, or RSS, add links (with appropriate logos/buttons) there.  And give the footer a top border to separate it from the body of the site.  The appearance of structure is important.

Don't use separate fonts for the news/menu column and the main column.  Sans-serif is easier on the eyes, so stick with that.

Small thing: You don't need a 'Pictures of the Farm' heading on the index page.  It's obvious what the images are, and the heading simply uses up space.

You have a good base to work with, but you really need to step back and look at it from a distance.  Economy of space, making everything count, should be your concern now that the basic layout and design is done.

thanks nightslyr,  i appreciate your comments I am actually working on a drop down right now for the top menu that is so weird you said that.  Also the left menu will go away and only the news will remain.  I just got the logo a couple of days ago and I am trying to find a way to incorporate it into the existing header image I just don't want to get rid of that image it is so awesome as for the footer I havent' given much thought to it and yes the customer wanted a counter and I tried to incorporat it as a simple unique counter so you can visit every page a million times from every computer on your network and it won't change the counter it only counts wan ip's once.

I have inserted the css drop down menu removed the left navigation and removed the heading over the pictures on the home page I am still working on the header image this will take a little while I also tried to add a border to the top of my footer but for some reason it won't display at top it will on all side except top I have put the code in my style.css and directly into the <div style="border: 1px solid #FFF;"> I am not sure why it doesn't display.

Hmm.  I'm not entirely sure why your border isn't showing up.  When I look at it in Firebug, your footer takes the entire height of the content-container, but I'm not sure what's causing it.  I'm not seeing any explicit heights anywhere, and you don't have enough content to stretch it to that size.  You should ask in our CSS subforum.

A couple of small things - don't indent your paragraphs.  If you have a blank line between them, then don't worry about indents.  Also, don't underline anything you don't mean to be a link.  Your links have a white underline, so anything else with a white underline looks clickable.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.