Updating multiple records in MYSQL using PHP

bmopro

Hello,
I may be over simplifying this, but i want to try and keep this as simple as possible...
I am trying to write my own script to edit multiple records in a table without having to use phpmyadmin as a front end.  THe reason...So i can view just one field and edit another with a drop down menu and not have to view all of the fields in the table.
The way i have it set up now is, i query the DB and use a for loop to echo out a table with the name field and a drop down men to edit another field for each entry. 
To test  this code i kept it simple and just put 1 entery in the db.  So, when i query the db it only shows 1 entery.
When i try and just have it echo out the name field when it hit submit, i get nothing?  When you use a for loop to echo out multple records does the html form see it differently?  Is there a third party code i can use to do this?
Sorry in advance if this is to vague, but if someone could point me in the right direction to help understand this concept, i am grateful.
Brian

It's really hard to help without seeing any code, but I think what your trying to do is something like this:

[code]
<?php

$item = $_POST["item"];
?>
<form action="yoursite.php" method="post">
<select>
<option value="Item_1">Item 1</option>
<option value="Item_2">Item 2</option>
<option value="Item_3">Item 3</option>
</select>
</form>

<?php
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `your_table` WHERE `item_id` = '$item'") or die(mysql_error());
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql))
{
         // You're tables information here, just do the following for each field name:
         echo $row["field_name"];
}

?>
[/code]

I got it, but thats what i already do.
For each row of data i have the for loop eco out a table with three cells.
The first is a check box, with the value of true.  THe second is a text box like you have below.
the third is a drop down menu so i can edit that field.
Now when i retrieve the data, in the testing im doing, i only have 1 row of data.
When i hit my submit button, it queries the db and echos out that row of data in the format above.
I want it to be able to update that row of data if i check the check box, and not to if the check box is unchecked.  I've been testing this out, and so far when i hit the submit button to update, all i have it doing is echo out the name text box which it dosn't do.  I don't have a problem doing it one entery at a time, which ive been doing, but if there are multiple rows of data echoed out by a for loop, will it still work the same as if i were doing it one at a time. (Obviously i have to set up another loop to update only the checked boxes, and assign unique names th all of the text boxes ect which will be the id # of the entery.
example: name_101)
Thanks for the help, and i hope this makes scence.
Brian

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.