pull one row from the db

Jocka

I was making this script and I was trying to find an easier way to pull just ONE row from the database without using the mysql_fetch_array or assoc. I searched and searched. i could have sworn I used something before that only pulled one row and not all rows but I can't find it now. What I'm using now is something like:

<?
$results = mysql_query("SELECT value FROM settings WHERE key='about'") or die("Error: " . mysql_error());
$about = mysql_fetch_array($results);
$about = $about['value'];
?>

Is this my only option?

Thats the only way to get one columns information... you could also do it this way:

[code]
<?php

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT value FROM settings WHERE key='about'") or die("Error: " . mysql_error());

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql))
{
    echo $row["value"];
}

?>[/code]

Or, if you're talking about getting an entire ROW (not a column, but the just one row) you could do this:

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT value FROM settings WHERE key='about' [b]LIMIT 1[/b]") or die("Error: " . mysql_error());

yea, the whole thing is, I wanted to find a way where I didn't have to add all that extra code to get my value. Example:
your code
[code]
<?php

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT value FROM settings WHERE key='about'") or die("Error: " . mysql_error());

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql))
{
    echo $row["value"];
}

?>
[/code]
what I'd like
[code]
<?php

$about = mysql_fetch_array($sql); // THIS IS IT

?>
[/code]
I tried using extract but couldn't get it to work.. using
"extract($row, EXTR_PREFIX_SAME, "settings_")"

[quote author=roopurt18 link=topic=110526.msg446992#msg446992 date=1160008385]
I would recommend against being so lazy as to want to write:

echo $c[0]

as opposed to

echo $c['FName']

The second line of code is going to make a lot more sense 6 months from now.
[/quote]

you can't do that, mysql_fetch_row() returns a numerical array only!

me!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.