mysql query problem

chemicaluser

Hope someone can help. i am trying to search between two date ranges but am not sure how to add it to the rest of my query.

this is my original query which works fine .. it does not have the start and end date part

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE hdt1 like '%$hdt1_search%' and hdt2 like '%$hdt2_search%' and hdt3 like '%$hdt3_search%' and dateadd like '$dateadd_search'";

this is the start date to end date search, ...it works ok when it is the only thing in the query

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE dateadd >= '$start_date' AND dateadd <= '$end_date'";

BUT, when i try to put it all together the only two fields that get search are the  start date to end date search. ...

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE hdt1 like '%$hdt1_search%' and hdt2 like '%$hdt2_search%' and hdt3 like '%$hdt3_search%' and dateadd like '$dateadd_search' and  dateadd >= '$start_date' AND dateadd <= '$end_date' ";

what am i doing wrong????

Try parentheses around the date range

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE hdt1 like '%$hdt1_search%' and hdt2 like '%$hdt2_search%' and hdt3 like '%$hdt3_search%' and dateadd like '$dateadd_search' and  (dateadd >= '$start_date' AND dateadd <= '$end_date') ";

There's nothing logically wrong with your complete query.

If it didn't return the results you expected, either you didn't save the changed code or your didn't upload the changed file to your web server or the results you got where actually correct for the data you have and what you searched for.

I tried the parentheses but it is still not working..

once i add this part its the only part of the query that returns results ...

dateadd >= '$start_date' AND dateadd <= '$end_date'

and once i delete it ... the rest of the query works without problems

...i know that i am saving and uploading the right file because when i change the code i get different results

I tried the parentheses but it is still not working ... sort of

once i add this part to the query it becomes mandatory to have dates entered  in the start/end field during the search, otherwise it returns no results

dateadd >= '$start_date' AND dateadd <= '$end_date'

but once i delete it ... the rest of the query works without problems

...i know that i am saving and uploading the right file because when i change the code i get different results

Unless you post exactly what you are putting in to the query (echo the $query variable in your code and post what it is), what your data is in your table that you expect the query to match, what result you are getting, what result you expect, and what your actual code is that is executing the query and retrieving and displaying the results, no one here can directly help you.

You are expecting us to be able to guess based on "it is still not working" and "the rest of the query works without problems" what your code and data is, what you searched for, and what you saw in front of you that leads you to believe that something that you are doing worked or didn't work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.