Firebug

I am trying to learn how to use Firebug and have viewed several tutorials. My first problem is my Firebug screens are not the same as theirs.

Their screen shot menu shows:

1st row:    inspect  edit

2nd row:  Console  Html  CSS Script  DOM Net

My screen does not show the 1st row with the inspect icon and that is one of the first things the tutorials discuss?

I have tried the various settings and options but can't find it.

Any ideas?

In my version, it seems the inspect icon is the one that looks like a cursor arrow pointing to a rectangle, and Edit is on the second line, below it.

Mine is the same as you Pika.  crmamx could you post a screen shot?

yep right click inspect element should trigger a pop up.

Also most of those tutorials they use a Mac, (blue rounded buttons)

here is a tutorial (guide) for windows xp. Pretty basic but you probbaly only will use it for css. http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/BrainDump/Using-Firebug-in-Windows-XP-Home/

And otherwise use a new version of google chrove it has a similar (right click: inspect element) tool

How do you find all those good tutorials. I googled firebug several different ways but never saw the one you posted. Same has happened before on several other topics.

I have read a couple of posts where people ask for tutorial recommendations and a lot of the "help" doesn't want to do it. On the other hand I have seen w3schools recommended several times and yet:

http://w3fools.com/

I am going to start a new topic... :confused:

How do you find all those good tutorials. I googled firebug several different ways but never saw the one you posted. Same has happened before on several other topics.

http://w3fools.com/

I am going to start a new topic... :confused:

I don't know why crmamx but i do know my father is named Obi wan Kenobi ::)

Never seen w3fools.com looks pretty okay. Anyway good luck on firebug, it's a really easy to use program. (right-click inspect element)

a new version of google chrove

Is that a new browser? :P

::) oops did i just leak vital info :)

Ok, that's better. We are making progress.

When you right click and then click "inspect element" the markup is displayed in a box to the left and the css in a box to the right.

On mine, the markup is displayed all the way across the screen and the css is displayed below it. This is a lot harder to read than what your video is showing with the markup and css side by side.

I found it. The vertical  panes option. Much better as I can read it.

Now we are trucking!..

Yeah, having the layout like that is much better ;)  Surprised it wasn't doing that by default.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.