mail function and invalid email addresses

ben_b

I have a php script that sends out emails using the mail() function and for some reason if the email address is incorrect it doesn't send a bounce message to the reply address even though it's set correctly in the headers. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

There are a few things to consider - minor but FYI worth remeberign for the future...

If this is a case where you want to ensure that the email address provided by a user is valid then check this out [url=http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/ev12apr.php#Heading11]http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/ev12apr.php#Heading11[/url] a brilliant method to use during the sigin up process (IMO of course).

Now notwithstanding that I like the above method - its not infallable - the script that actually asks the server if an email address would be accepted does not mean to say that email address exists - they may have a catch all enabled on the domain.

The other point to note is that checking the true/false status of the mail function, if the inbox may simply be full - the email is valid but it will/may be bumped back - making you think that its an invalid address.  You could delete an address that is perfectly OK.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.