Stop content moving when vertical scroller appears - margin: auto

denno020

I have auto margins for left and right for my wrapper to centre it in the page. When the page is longer than the browser window, obviously the vertical scroll will appear. However, when that happens, the wrapper will shift to the left so that it is still in the centre. Is there any way of avoiding this?

Thanks

Luke

do you mean shift to the left the 18 pixels the scrollbar is width? If that is the case maybe use javascript to check the length of the page according to the screen height, and if the one is larger than expected set margin-right to -18pixels.

Not sure though, but that was just that popped up here :)

Why would you want do that, to prevent the little shift?

or maybe put the wrapper on overflow hidden and put a container in that with overflow:scroll; But i am now just brain farting :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.