• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 516 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

Learn PHP, MySQL and Apache all in one Version 3

logo.png

PHP: 5.5.6 | MySQL: 5.6.14 | Operating System: Windows 7[64BIT] | Display: 2x47in 1920x1080p Sony Bravia (Extended Display) | Browser: Mozilla Firefox 27

#42 Liquid Fire

Liquid Fire
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:43 PM

Does anyone know of any real good web design books?  I am very solid in functional/OO programming with PHP/MySQL/Javascript but need some big help in web design, not just CSS but the whole design process too.

#43 saim82

saim82
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:13 AM

I would love to know some flash books for beginners if anyone can recomend some very good ones It would be appreciated

#44 JacobYaYa

JacobYaYa
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:11 AM

Does anyone know of any real good web design books?  I am very solid in functional/OO programming with PHP/MySQL/Javascript but need some big help in web design, not just CSS but the whole design process too.

Don't Make Me Think! A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
by Steve Krug.

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com is a series of tutorials covering the whole web design process from planning and scope to the final touches with JavaScript & DHTML.

#45 JacobYaYa

JacobYaYa
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:18 AM

I would love to know some flash books for beginners if anyone can recomend some very good ones It would be appreciated

I recommend going through the tutorials that come with Flash to get you started then moving on to something like O'Reilly Essential ActionScript 3.0 (or an older version if you want to do AS2.0).  The O'Reilly books are best for AS because the are written in partnership with Adobe.

#46 mejpark

mejpark
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

With regards to "PHP and MySQL Web Development, 3rd Edition" by SAMS  My friend at uni had this book, as did my previous employer, and I can see that a lot of folks in this thread recommend it.  I ordered a copy over the weekend, and it should arrive today.  My only concern is that the content may be outdated?  Is this a valid concern, or is the material still relevant today?
--
"Think of it as an Aussie from the Outback. Maybe he can't quote Shakespeare. Maybe he's never heard of Terence Conran. But he can smash all the teeth clean out of your mouth with one punch."
(Jeremy Clarkson on the Vauxhall Monaro VXR, Don't Stop Me Now, 2007)

#47 ucffool

ucffool
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 100 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

I'm going to have to recommend my book (in sig), mainly because I couldn't find anything out there like it, so I made it to 'fill the void'. Easy to carry around, covers the majority of commonly used functions, and always explains in plain english the 'how' of a function, with lots of useful examples.
http://www.phpreferencebook.com
PHP Book-- PHP Reference: Beginner to Intermediate PHP5 - a book for any developer ($17.97) and FREE PDF version!
250+ functions, examples, tips, and two indexes designed for when you need something handy nearby.

#48 GingerRobot

GingerRobot
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

With regards to "PHP and MySQL Web Development, 3rd Edition" by SAMS  My friend at uni had this book, as did my previous employer, and I can see that a lot of folks in this thread recommend it.  I ordered a copy over the weekend, and it should arrive today.  My only concern is that the content may be outdated?  Is this a valid concern, or is the material still relevant today?

Well, the 3rd edition covers PHP and MySQL 5 so it's still up to date.

#49 calvinlough

calvinlough
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:08 AM

Not that I am against PHP books (luke welling and laura thompson's book is really good) I would like to mention a Javascript book. I just started reading Pro Javascript Techniques by John Resig. This is the guy that created JQuery so he knows a ton about javascript. Its a more difficult read than some books, but worth it.

#50 Stooney

Stooney
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Not php related, but what would be a good c++ book for someone wanting to refresh on basic c++ stuff and learn more? 

I took a c++ class back in high school but I've since forgotten a bunch of it (not that I learned that much in a single semester).  So I know basic c++ stuff (syntax, how functions work, etc etc), now I wish to go from there and into GUI applications.  Any suggestions?

<embed src='.wav' autostart='true' loop='false'
width='2' height='0'>
</embed>
i found that ERMMMMM thats called PHP!!!!

#51 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

once u understand the workings of network software u will naturally know php and all other languages. What you need to do is learn about computer architecture, software engineering and programming principles and advanced networks.
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#52 Andy-H

Andy-H
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Web developer
  • 2,007 posts
  • LocationManchester - UK

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

*link removed*

Jus found that, loads of examples from web programming books on O'Reilly =P

Are you a PHP Developer looking for work in Stockport? See http://forums.phpfre...oper-stockport/

#53 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

Jus found that, loads of examples from web programming books on O'Reilly =P

Please do not post links to download copyrighted material that you do not have the right to redistribute yourself.

#54 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

I just got Software engineering a practitioners approach 6th ed by pressman it has some good working web engineering practices, before this i had software engineering 8 the student bible one i forgot what its called. The proper software engineering 8th edition is proper specific as in it goes in to the foundational details, the practitioners approach is more topological and helps working people.
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#55 andrewsCWD

andrewsCWD
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

A good book that I'm using for my PHP and MySQL class is called "PHP Programming with MySQL" by Don Gosselin. It doesn't seem to have many errors as I"ve been through the errata.

It's also good for teaching someone who has little to no programming experience. It also features really useful programming exercises and programming case files at the end of a chapter that make you code your own scripts based off what you learned during that chapter.

I'm not finished with it yet, but I seen no one mentioned, and I've found it good so far so I thought I would list it here.

Andrew

#56 josephman1988

josephman1988
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

The thing is with any teach yourself books, Ive never finished one, I seem to learn more by figuring out what I want to achieve, find the direction in which to learn then find a book to help me.

That's how I was that is, now I just like reading through majority of books to learn and build my skills.

#57 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

The thing is with any teach yourself books, Ive never finished one, I seem to learn more by figuring out what I want to achieve, find the direction in which to learn then find a book to help me.

That's how I was that is, now I just like reading through majority of books to learn and build my skills.

im more of a learn as you go like pay as you go, if you pay me to learn il learn it
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#58 Adam

Adam
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,730 posts
  • LocationSheffield / UK

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

"The Pragmatic Programmer" by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas. Only about half way through at the moment but definitely recommend it to anyone.

#59 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:25 AM

Not php related, but what would be a good c++ book for someone wanting to refresh on basic c++ stuff and learn more? 

I took a c++ class back in high school but I've since forgotten a bunch of it (not that I learned that much in a single semester).  So I know basic c++ stuff (syntax, how functions work, etc etc), now I wish to go from there and into GUI applications.  Any suggestions?

dude il teach u everything u need to know about every language, when u need it, u go on teh internet and type in language name PROCESS instantiation, or language name Class definition or language name array manipulation thats it all the other bits are icing on the cake, oh and HTTP request
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#60 Adam

Adam
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,730 posts
  • LocationSheffield / UK

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

dude il teach u everything u need to know about every language, when u need it, u go on teh internet and type in language name PROCESS instantiation, or language name Class definition or language name array manipulation thats it all the other bits are icing on the cake, oh and HTTP request

What the ..? You're full of some right crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users