Good Programming and Web Design Books

theverychap

I know my word really doesn't mean much around here, being a noobie and all but I really found this list a helpful resource and immediately proceeded to purchase every book mentioned off of Amazon. I needed something to do with a several hundred dollar gift card there anyway.  :-\

You probably purchased ((total books) - 1) books too many. One book is all you need, and the manual will take over from there.

I swear by the Sitepoint books.

Build your own Database using PHP and MySQL was my first introduction to PHP and MySQL and is a superb book

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/

There's also the PHP Anthology (2 volumes)

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpant1/

and this one I haven't got

No Nonsense XML Web Development With PHP

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/xml1/

• 1 month later...

Am new to PHP and i decided to order a book as i knew VERY little about PHP and i mean very little, I looked at a number of books and i decided and ordered.

Beginning PHP and MySQL 5 - From Novice to Professional. (second edition) by W. Jason Gilmore

And i have learnt alot so far and am only on page 61 out of nearly 1000.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://safari.oreilly.com/

I just wanted to throw that out there.  Every single book that is mentioned in this post is fully accessible on that site.  If you pay for unlimited access, you can keep note's, bookmark's, save books in the bookshelves, get tokens monthly for downloading chapters. 

I use to buy hardback cover's of everything, however when I got htis (it actually has every oriely book created, plus one's from many other developers.  Every language, every skill, pretty much any topic related to technology or any book about technology.  All at one place, this is where I spend all my extra "study" time.  Reading book after book here, or downloading chapters for my laptop to study in my spare time.

Just advice for those looking for books.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it was posted a while ago, but I got the PHP Black Book, and it is ok, but not great.  There is a lot of editorializing.  It was pretty good, but it doesn't seem like it is very comprehensive. 

There are topics as simple as radio buttons and checkboxes and text boxes that hardly get any pages.  Maybe I need something a lot more basic, because it says it is for "intermediate to advanced" users.  But it seems like there should be more about those simple topics. 

I got it at Half Price books for about $7, so it was well worth it for me, because I have used it as a reference guide for several things.  But I am definately going to look into getting a different book.

I started out with Sams PHP MySQL Apache All in One. It was okay for the very basics. I have tried several more over the years. Core Web Application Development With PHP and MySQL and Web Database Application with PHP and MySQL (both are not good IMO). Programming PHP seems to best cover the basics. Learning PHP 5 is good but is more of a cookbook.

My favorites are both from Wrox. PHP5, Apache, MYSQL Web Development for the basics and Professional PHP5 for the OOP.

Other good ones are PHP in a Nutshell and PHP Cookbook. Both from Oreilly. Web Database Application with PHP and MySQL is one of the few Oreilly books I haven't liked and I have many.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any real good web design books?  I am very solid in functional/OO programming with PHP/MySQL/Javascript but need some big help in web design, not just CSS but the whole design process too.

Don't Make Me Think! A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability

by Steve Krug.

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com is a series of tutorials covering the whole web design process from planning and scope to the final touches with JavaScript & DHTML.

I would love to know some flash books for beginners if anyone can recomend some very good ones It would be appreciated

I recommend going through the tutorials that come with Flash to get you started then moving on to something like O'Reilly Essential ActionScript 3.0 (or an older version if you want to do AS2.0).  The O'Reilly books are best for AS because the are written in partnership with Adobe.

• 1 month later...

With regards to "PHP and MySQL Web Development, 3rd Edition" by SAMS  My friend at uni had this book, as did my previous employer, and I can see that a lot of folks in this thread recommend it.  I ordered a copy over the weekend, and it should arrive today.  My only concern is that the content may be outdated?  Is this a valid concern, or is the material still relevant today?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to have to recommend my book (in sig), mainly because I couldn't find anything out there like it, so I made it to 'fill the void'. Easy to carry around, covers the majority of commonly used functions, and always explains in plain english the 'how' of a function, with lots of useful examples.

http://www.phpreferencebook.com

With regards to "PHP and MySQL Web Development, 3rd Edition" by SAMS  My friend at uni had this book, as did my previous employer, and I can see that a lot of folks in this thread recommend it.  I ordered a copy over the weekend, and it should arrive today.  My only concern is that the content may be outdated?  Is this a valid concern, or is the material still relevant today?

Well, the 3rd edition covers PHP and MySQL 5 so it's still up to date.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that I am against PHP books (luke welling and laura thompson's book is really good) I would like to mention a Javascript book. I just started reading Pro Javascript Techniques by John Resig. This is the guy that created JQuery so he knows a ton about javascript. Its a more difficult read than some books, but worth it.

• 3 months later...

Not php related, but what would be a good c++ book for someone wanting to refresh on basic c++ stuff and learn more? 

I took a c++ class back in high school but I've since forgotten a bunch of it (not that I learned that much in a single semester).  So I know basic c++ stuff (syntax, how functions work, etc etc), now I wish to go from there and into GUI applications.  Any suggestions?