Good Programming and Web Design Books

theverychap

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got Software engineering a practitioners approach 6th ed by pressman it has some good working web engineering practices, before this i had software engineering 8 the student bible one i forgot what its called. The proper software engineering 8th edition is proper specific as in it goes in to the foundational details, the practitioners approach is more topological and helps working people.

• 1 month later...

A good book that I'm using for my PHP and MySQL class is called "PHP Programming with MySQL" by Don Gosselin. It doesn't seem to have many errors as I"ve been through the errata.

It's also good for teaching someone who has little to no programming experience. It also features really useful programming exercises and programming case files at the end of a chapter that make you code your own scripts based off what you learned during that chapter.

I'm not finished with it yet, but I seen no one mentioned, and I've found it good so far so I thought I would list it here.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

The thing is with any teach yourself books, Ive never finished one, I seem to learn more by figuring out what I want to achieve, find the direction in which to learn then find a book to help me.

That's how I was that is, now I just like reading through majority of books to learn and build my skills.

im more of a learn as you go like pay as you go, if you pay me to learn il learn it

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not php related, but what would be a good c++ book for someone wanting to refresh on basic c++ stuff and learn more? 

I took a c++ class back in high school but I've since forgotten a bunch of it (not that I learned that much in a single semester).  So I know basic c++ stuff (syntax, how functions work, etc etc), now I wish to go from there and into GUI applications.  Any suggestions?

dude il teach u everything u need to know about every language, when u need it, u go on teh internet and type in language name PROCESS instantiation, or language name Class definition or language name array manipulation thats it all the other bits are icing on the cake, oh and HTTP request

Not php related, but what would be a good c++ book for someone wanting to refresh on basic c++ stuff and learn more? 

I took a c++ class back in high school but I've since forgotten a bunch of it (not that I learned that much in a single semester).  So I know basic c++ stuff (syntax, how functions work, etc etc), now I wish to go from there and into GUI applications.  Any suggestions?

dude il teach u everything u need to know about every language, when u need it, u go on teh internet and type in language name PROCESS instantiation, or language name Class definition or language name array manipulation thats it all the other bits are icing on the cake, oh and HTTP request

What the ..? You're full of some right crap.

What the ..? You're full of some right crap.

no realy this is how you do things

If he's only touched the basics of programming (in whatever language) how would ever know to type in 'process instantiation' or anything of the sort? It's not even so much what you say just way you blurt it out like you've changed his life or something.

• Like 1

If he's only touched the basics of programming (in whatever language) how would ever know to type in 'process instantiation' or anything of the sort? It's not even so much what you say just way you blurt it out like you've changed his life or something.

point taken, but yes then he should try somthing like a programming game like C BOT

• 3 weeks later...

If you want advanced stuff, you have to move away from PHP book and buy books that deal with general programming stuff. Programming is not just "programming" though. There are many different things you might want to focus on. You could read about algorithms and make your stuff run fast. You could read about things like semantics and lambda calculus to get a better idea of what exactly a programming language is. Maybe things like computability would be interesting, i.e. what is it possible to compute, and can it be done within reasonable time (has a lot to do with algorithms as well). Maybe you would find concurrency and making things run in parallel interesting. Or you might be interested in how to make well designed applications, or how to manage programming projects.

There are so many things to programming that it's difficult suggesting an "advanced" book. I might suggest Introduction to Algorithms, but if algorithms aren't really your thing, you might find The Pragmatic Programmer more interesting. Both books can be said to be related to programming, but they are very different books.

• 5 months later...

I started out with Sams PHP MySQL Apache All in One. It was okay for the very basics. I have tried several more over the years. Core Web Application Development With PHP and MySQL and Web Database Application with PHP and MySQL (both are not good IMO). Programming PHP seems to best cover the basics. Learning PHP 5 is good but is more of a cookbook.

My favorites are both from Wrox. PHP5, Apache, MYSQL Web Development for the basics and Professional PHP5 for the OOP.

Other good ones are PHP in a Nutshell and PHP Cookbook. Both from Oreilly. Web Database Application with PHP and MySQL is one of the few Oreilly books I haven't liked and I have many.

Professional PHP was my first (and only) book that I read for php.  I'm looking for the next step up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want advanced stuff, you have to move away from PHP book and buy books that deal with general programming stuff. Programming is not just "programming" though. There are many different things you might want to focus on. You could read about algorithms and make your stuff run fast. You could read about things like semantics and lambda calculus to get a better idea of what exactly a programming language is. Maybe things like computability would be interesting, i.e. what is it possible to compute, and can it be done within reasonable time (has a lot to do with algorithms as well). Maybe you would find concurrency and making things run in parallel interesting. Or you might be interested in how to make well designed applications, or how to manage programming projects.

There are so many things to programming that it's difficult suggesting an "advanced" book. I might suggest Introduction to Algorithms, but if algorithms aren't really your thing, you might find The Pragmatic Programmer more interesting. Both books can be said to be related to programming, but they are very different books.

Makes a very important point. You will have trouble finding 'advanced php' books because php itself is not that advanced of a programming language. I sometimes find myself switching off from time to time when I'm programming in php because it's so damn easy when you 'know' it. The only challenge now is keeping on top of modern web technologies.

Programming in general: the rabbit hole goes very deep. Hurts my head.

Oh, I'd also second that pragmatic programmer. This is one of THE best programming books I've ever read. You can see other recomendations here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1711/what-is-the-single-most-influential-book-every-programmer-should-read

Code Complete and Pragmatic Programmer!

For php: Php 5 Objects Patterns and Practice by that matt guy.

• 4 months later...

I just thought I would hit reply without looking at any other posts when reading the first one.

The 2 ones I enjoy reading:

Wrox Beginning PHP6 and MySQL (yes I know there's no such version as PHP6 but it is not a bad book, if your willing to go in and amend some of the things the author does, spend allot of time doing, which is not really a bad thing, coupled with this site forum and that book it's amazing).

I will of course look at this book though the one the OP posted, will give that a good read, it's good occasionally to unlearn what you have already learnt and start off again, I mean I know about typecasting, since I spent an hour (literally just an hour), trying to work out where I could put in type casting. Can fit into many different areas you don't usually think about.

Also a CSS book I am reading at this moment in time is:

CSS Mastery by Andy Budd.

Apologies if anyones put these up already, I will just go by saying their 2 pretty decent books, though there's probably better ones than the PHP one I just mentioned lol.

Web development books (PHP & mysql):

Beginners:

)PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (4th Edition:  nice job done by author Larry ullman bottles up everything for php beginners ready to jump into the web development world.

PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (3rd Edition):

another good beginner book. the book takes "little" faster pace in the process of teaching the concepts to the reader but still full fills it desired purpose remarkably.

PHP 5 Advanced: Visual QuickPro Guide (2nd Edition):after you covering the basic and  having practically a good grasp of PHP and MYSQL this book will expands your horizon  by teaching complex concepts of using PHP and MYSQL to its fullest  potential.

• Like 1