Should I use PHP

jeffpoulsen

Hello all,
      I'm new to the forum so hello. I know nothing about PHP, a little about Java and HTML ( very little), but have the following need. I need to know if PHP can work before I look into it. I need a secure site that allows users to access information pages with links to PDF, HTML, DOC, XLS files etc. I need to be able to control login so that during login the user(s) are directed to the files they are allowed to see and not allow a user to revisit a page by saving the url and thus bypass the login. Also I need to be able to control (add and suspend) user or groups on the fly. And in addition harvest information such as email addresses, names etc along with ip addresses browsers, etc. And be able to validate these fields. Then send this information or log to an excel spreadsheet or similar and an html file. Can this all be done with PHP?

welcome to the forums! i hope you find all the help you're looking for. i'll expand on redbullmarky's answer a tad ;)

i think [i]quite easily[/i] may be an oversimplification, but yes, everything you're after can be accomplished through PHP scripts. if your login control is written well, you [b]can[/b] easily accomplish most of what you're after, however, it can be challenging to get a well-written and well-rounded login script when you're first learning.

one question: when you say [i]harvest information such as email addresses[/i], are you referring to simply tying the email address of the user with their actions on the site? if so, again, as long as your login script is written in such a way as to support such action, you'll have no problem at all tying all information to every action the user makes on the site. you can even go so far as to log every single action the user takes on your site (similar to what you're after with your excel file, i'm sure).

i hope this gives you a little to go on. as you have specific questions regarding coding portions of this, feel free to start specific topics to discuss best practices and such.

good luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.