Next Generation Gaming

obsidian

XBox 360, PlayStation 3, or Revolution?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. XBox 360, PlayStation 3, or Revolution?

• Array

Well, with this year's E3 well underway, I wanted to get some opinions of those in the computer industry on how they think the specs of the next generation of gaming are shaping up. At first glance, XBox 360 promises to be the first one off the blocks with a release of Halo 3 the day Playstation 3 is released, however, Sony promises to support more connectivity out of the box, including up to 7 wireless bluetooth controllers for a total of 8 players simultaneously. Then we have the Revolution that defines the topic of backward-compatability allowing users not only to play gamecube discs, but also to download "fan-favorites" from every Nintendo console all the way back to the NES to play... the question I pose is easy:

AT FIRST GLANCE, WHICH SYSTEM DO YOU THINK WILL DOMINATE, AND WHY???

Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

Heh, I never even saw this post when it was posted, I voted for the Xbox 360, looking forward to it!

I love my current Xbox, modified of course - 160GB hard drive, Xecuter 2.1 Lite, a glowing blue top jewel and power light, on/off button on my controller and XBMC as my dash - Top notch media player for the cost of an Xbox and a few components :D And the Xbox 360 is looking like it will have a number of those features as standard!

I'm not much of a console gamer - PC for me. BUT, if I were to be a console gamer, what I've heard of the XBox 360 is pretty impressive - impressive enough for me to ALMOST consider shelling out the cash. But not quite. :)

I'm going to stick with computer games - you can upgrade your hardware, you can do WAY more stuff on a computer, and I'm leaps and bounds better with WASD and a mouse than a console controller :)

I'm not much of a console gamer - PC for me. BUT, if I were to be a console gamer, what I've heard of the XBox 360 is pretty impressive - impressive enough for me to ALMOST consider shelling out the cash. But not quite. :)

I'm going to stick with computer games - you can upgrade your hardware, you can do WAY more stuff on a computer, and I'm leaps and bounds better with WASD and a mouse than a console controller :)

295469[/snapback]

Oh yeah, totaly, I use my computer for FPS games - I only use my Xbox for racing, sports and platform fighting games. FPS games suck on consoles mainly due to the lack of native keyboard and mouse support.

I'll take whatever my future roommate has :)

Though I suppose if I had to choose, I'd go Sony, just because they've been consistently excellent in terms of game quality, and that's what matters. I couldn't care less about all the "extra" features. I think the marketing team got it wrong; should be "extraneous". There already are devices that can play music and watch TV and record TV on and manage your digital photos and videos on: It's called a computer. Consoles should exist solely for the purpose of group entertainment.

PS3 obviously

295326[/snapback]

all i've got to say about that is HA... show me proof.

after much reading and checking out specs, i'd have to say i'm still drawn to nintendo. especially after they unveiled their new controller last week. i've always been a nintendo fan, and they are consistantly setting the bar. this time, they're not just setting the bar, they're defining an entirely new way to play. sure, it may flop, but kudos to them for trying, and it just looks so darn cool, too!

as to the technical end of things, i've not been too impressed with XBox 360 (and definitely not with PS3), since they've basically just been showing more of the same with pumped up graphics. you've got to give me more than just eye candy to draw me to a system. and after saying all that, i'll also add that i do most of my gaming on PC, but i do have a GC at home, too.

i could go on and on, but this is a PHP forum, not gaming... lol

I've been hearing more of the opposite out of the MS camp lately. The XBox 360 is supposed to be almost a full entertainment system. I am like you, however, and do most of my gaming on my PC, but my wife bought me a XBox for christmas 2 years ago and I play on it from time to time when I get bored with the PC.

• 2 months later...

[!--quoteo(post=326695:date=Dec 12 2005, 08:29 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Dec 12 2005, 08:29 AM) 326695[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

I hope you can wait... they screwed up the first design so bad that they fired the entire design team and are starting over from scratch.

really? hadn't heard that one... you have an article on that? i've got some friends that would be rather interested in that.

[a href=\"http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000340065758/\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000340065758/[/a]

Probably not the most reliable source, but I've heard this more than just there. Apparently the PS3 is so hard to write games for and has so many design flaws that the game makers claimed they would go bankrupt writing games for it. Sounds a little messed up to me, but I doubt you'll see PS3s before 2K7.

• 3 months later...

Playstation 3 - All the way...

Xbox 360 fell flat on its face with most systems not working and furthermore... its not backwards compatible... even though they said it would be. I hope Sony kicks Xbox's butt with this new system. And for all you fans out there that say "we'll he's never played Xbox" I own one as well, but the only game I really play is halo (cause it rocks). But I'm still a Sony fan all the way.

And actually they are shooting for this christmas for launch, but i do believe that Sony is pulling some components because of troubles working out the bugs. I might not be the first in line to get one... but I won't be the last either.

• 2 weeks later...

I first thought PS3.... then ps3 and now i don't know...

revolution - yes that's right now you can see your favorite characters such as mario and pikachu in better graphics. - ah... yeah awesome...... mabye not.... that's pretty much what they bass them selves on each time the system changes...... the nintendo market is the kindergarten market of the gaming world.... i mean seriously..... anyone up to the age of 10.... or 8 or 10.... would be happy.... and fankly... i think it survives by having those classic characters like little kidies can recognise... + most parents wont get there 7 year old son/daughter a console which half the games include shooting....

x-box - the x-box 360 is like a computer which you can't do work on and can't claim tax deduction on as part of a business. If i wanted a microsoft game... then it i would get it for my computer.

ps3 - looks to be bloody expensive... the games are always great quality....a bit of fps and a bit of sports..... bit of other stuff like SW: battlefront II to make it have more topic related fps's....

I got a ps1 when i was younger.....and i have a ps2 slim now.....

I think i'll stick with my ps2 till it breaks or until there is a game i must have which is not on any computers.....

But, 1st priority... get a better computer....

Mine is currently a slow, win XP, thing with 18 GB total... about 2 left and i clean the crap off the system every week to keep the 2 GB free......

So yeah..... once all the prices go down for all the consoles and a few great games come out i will seee

• 3 months later...

Uh, the only option I get is "Array". Lol.  But I love the 360.  I got mine a month ago and it's amazing.

I first thought PS3.... then ps3 and now i don't know...

revolution - yes that's right now you can see your favorite characters such as mario and pikachu in better graphics. - ah... yeah awesome...... mabye not....  that's pretty much what they bass them selves on each time the system changes...... the nintendo market is the kindergarten market of the gaming world.... i mean seriously.....  anyone up to the age of 10.... or 8 or 10.... would be happy.... and fankly... i think it survives by having those classic characters like little kidies can recognise... + most parents wont get there 7 year old son/daughter a console which half the games include shooting....

The only people who want to see pikachu are little kids. Tchh.  But anyways Xbox 360=Complete Ownage