• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

Reading redbullmarky's topic "Competition Idea" I would like to have a programming competition as this is a PHP forum/website.

Each month users could reply to a topic in order to apply for the competition with their project/application. At the end of the month the other users could vote for the best application in a poll based on functionality/features (not layout and design as it is more like the stuff to compete about in redbullmary's topic). This would just be for fun so there wouldn't be a price except maybe a little image saying "PHP Freaks' programming competition, November 2006 winner" or something like that.

#2 Mutley

Mutley
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:20 AM

Good idea!
~ Mutley.

#3 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:33 AM

Not to invalidate your idea (cuz it's not a bad idea), but I think instead of trying to make up several different contests, we should all focus on creating one really good contest, that everybody would enjoy. 

on that note, I think that if everybody is serious about the whole contest thing...well, everybody has been like 'sure, it sounds great!' but then it's kinda died down... i know people haven't lost interest, but I guess we have to kind of establish who should be in charge of formally putting this contest together, writing out the rules, etc..?
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#4 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:39 AM

My two cents' worth.  It needs to be fun and it needs to be a challenge.  Given the right conditions, it can teach a lot.

Oldie but goldie - http://alistapart.com/articles/5k/

... the winning site offered a witty yet powerful critique of the current state of the web via a fully functional e-commerce shopping cart. In less than 5K. Bastards.

Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#5 Mutley

Mutley
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

Theres a big range of skills on this forum though.

Maybe a set topic or questions, that have to be achieved in the most creative way possible?
~ Mutley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users