Programming competition

Daniel0

Reading redbullmarky's topic [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,110264.0.html]"Competition Idea"[/url] I would like to have a programming competition as this is a PHP forum/website.

Each month users could reply to a topic in order to apply for the competition with their project/application. At the end of the month the other users could vote for the best application in a poll based on functionality/features (not layout and design as it is more like the stuff to compete about in redbullmary's topic). This would just be for fun so there wouldn't be a price except maybe a little image saying "PHP Freaks' programming competition, November 2006 winner" or something like that.

Not to invalidate your idea (cuz it's not a bad idea), but I think instead of trying to make up several different contests, we should all focus on creating one really good contest, that everybody would enjoy. 

on that note, I think that if everybody is serious about the whole contest thing...well, everybody has been like 'sure, it sounds great!' but then it's kinda died down... i know people haven't lost interest, but I guess we have to kind of establish who should be in charge of formally putting this contest together, writing out the rules, etc..?

My two cents' worth.  It needs to be fun and it needs to be a challenge.  Given the right conditions, it can teach a lot.

Oldie but goldie - http://alistapart.com/articles/5k/

[quote]... the winning site offered a witty yet powerful critique of the current state of the web via a fully functional e-commerce shopping cart. In less than 5K. Bastards.[/quote]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.