Job Rater

The Little Guy

I like the fact you used the text-shadow thing, but overall it's very dark. I it's about top jobs, I would make it look more happy, more bright. But that's just me. Right now the text and background are not contrasting enough for me.

Hey TLG,

Yeah sometimes people get too close to something and they don't realize that what they believe is the best approach is actually not.  Maybe you can point him to this thread.  I agree that the dark scheme isn't the best, nor is the oversized logo which is confusing, as to what it is saying about the site.  There is this giant weird cigar chomping razorback... but how does that relate to what the site is about?   

At first glance, it's hard to understand what the site is doing?  Is it a site for rating companies, or is a job search site?  Why should an average visitor want to interact with this site? 

You may still be in the process of developing things, but just in testing the zipcode search, things seem to be a bit off  there, as I did a search on my zipcode here and it came back showing cities that are anywhere from 5-20 miles away as being 1.5 miles away.

The design of the rating categories just doesn't seem well done to me.  This is not how most people look at the aspects of a job:

"Managers"  - What is this relative to?  If i'm a janitor, this is a rating of the head janitor?  Why would i care about this if I'm going to be working in sales.

"Difficulty", "Fun" - Totally subjective and at the same time non-descript.  Hours, Pay, Flexibility... the same.  To me these general categories just undercut any possible value this site could have.  People want information like: benefits, salary ranges, and perks.  What would be more interesting to someone in looking at a company... seeing that they provide free breakfast of fruit, cereal and bagels, or that someone rated them as "Fun of 3.5?"  Those numbers are worthless without criteria, and even then I don't see much value in arbitrary numbers from anonymous people who could just be shills for the company.  Furthermore, my experience as a maintenance man is probably going to be very different from the experience of someone who is a director of marketing.  The entire concept of this site is deeply flawed, as far as I'm concerned.

I bring a lot of this up, as it reminds me of the famous "websites that suck" book, where they make the case that the design of a site needs to match it's intention and should be in support and harmony with the concept and brand.

Top jobs to work at near you:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' 20)' at line 1

hmm.... I don't seem to get that error...

Doesn't mean it isn't there, I get it too. Check your error_log and fix your coding.

Well, I wish my host had php error logs :( I have talked to them about it and they don't. So... could you tell me what page, and where on the page, also what zip code are you using, that kind of sounds like a cause of this.

The error was on the front page in the footer area at Top jobs to work at near you:.

I haven't seen the error the last few times I looked at your site.

Not really digging the large bold fonts being used. Hard to read for me.

I too am getting that MySQL error mentioned. I'm viewing this site from Australia if that makes a difference.

Your background appears to change slightly at a join of what looks like the header and the actual background. You can see it here in this screenshot, and I've blown it up a bit for clarity.

dnzva9.png

It's very noticeable on the actual site. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks good but a bit too cartoonish for my taste. I feel a site with a subject such as rating jobs should be a bit more sophisticated. But putting my personal preference aside, the design itself is good, clean, concise and easily navigable.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.