PHPLINQ

KevinM1

Has anyone tried it?  I love LINQ, so seeing a basic version ported over to PHP is great, but I can't help but think it would add a horrible performance hit.  I'm wondering if anyone has worked with it, or if I'll need to benchmark it myself.

JSLINQ is awesome, especially when you need to drill into deep JSON results.

LINQ is probably the best thing to come out of Microsoft, programmatically, in years.  It's so easy to shape results from what would otherwise be horrific SQL statements, or odd contortions of sort/search code when dealing with objects.  The only downside, really, would be the overhead.  It generates the horrific SQL and sort/search statements for you behind the scenes, so I'm sure there's a performance hit.  I just don't know how bad it is.

I found a blog of some employee of MS about the overhead:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ricom/archive/2007/06/22/dlinq-linq-to-sql-performance-part-1.aspx

Hope this helps

Thanks, but unfortunately, it's pretty out of date.  .NET gets upgraded every 2 years or so, and that article was written while LINQ was in development.  It also isn't referring to the PHP version, which is simply a bunch of utility classes someone else wrote, and not baked into the language itself like it is in VB and C#.

Thanks for trying, though. :)  Once I get some free time, I'll just run a few benchmark tests myself. 

I'm wondering if it will be able to sit on top of PDO.  That would more closely mimic how LINQ works in .NET, where it sits on top of various data service providers.  That way, you get the same unified API regardless of what kind of data you're trying to manipulate.  If it doesn't/can't sit on top of PDO, that may be an interesting side project to undertake.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.