Some errors are not shown(log/browser), just a blank page

Hi all,

I recently started rewriting some code from an existing open source project.

I noticed now, for the second time, that I got errors in a php file(the php file with errors was required_once into the main file) however they were not shown.

note however that other errors seem to be shown properly in the browser and are logged.

The behavior I get is that the page gets executed, the required page is loaded, and at the point that the statement is reached that is incorrect (for example calling a function that is not declared) it stops silently. Only the part that ran and sent output to the client is shown. Nothing is in the browser or in the logs about the error :S

Eventually I found out by using XDebug to step through the code.

At a certain function it just stopped.

Anyone an idea what is wrong?

Also take a look at the page source. Sometimes error messages get hidden because of the HTML or CSS surrounding them.

And see that phpinfo() lists the right php.ini settings. Might be that they're overwritten somewhere, or maybe you were looking at the wrong file.

There are some kinds of errors that you can't catch. Can't recover from. It's been a while since I've done PHP but I'm pretty sure that calling a non-existant function is one of those.

Also take a look at the page source. Sometimes error messages get hidden because of the HTML or CSS surrounding them.

And see that phpinfo() lists the right php.ini settings. Might be that they're overwritten somewhere, or maybe you were looking at the wrong file.

There are some kinds of errors that you can't catch. Can't recover from. It's been a while since I've done PHP but I'm pretty sure that calling a non-existant function is one of those.

This morning a friend of mine used a simple piece of code.

He got errors for non-existing functions that are called in a page that is required-in.

Got to look further. I'll try and see if omitting any html output is messing things up.

In my friends case he had no issues when using html code. (I only use very basic html to put a form there, and after that html table)

I am pretty sure it is the correct page I am using as I changed the configuration to log to /var/log/php.log

and normally errors are logged in there.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

I'll post back if I have an update or fix the issue.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.