About Compaq & HP laptops

tendouser

A friend of mine gave a laptop to check it because leds are on but video is just off.  Reading other forums I found that the Compaq CQ50-101LA, my friend's laptop, and other Compaq/HP laptops have overheating GPU issues that affect that graphics chip.  Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks a lot!

All laptops get too hot and usually puke sooner or later, is inevitable and are pretty much making them a disposable item versus repairing them.

It could be a number of issues, but none of the solutions to fix it are cost effective, unless you take it apart, clean it and suddenly works.

Otherwise could be:

Any cooling fans stopped working.

Motherboard capacitors leaking or swelled.

Bad video chipset on board.

Weak power supply.

Broken cdrom or dvdrom (yes I've seen it a few times, I assume it shorts and draws too much power)

Harddrive failure as in shorting.

Cpu failure.

It's not very often for just a black screen, but could even be faulty memory or the memory slot/controller itself.

Since it's a laptop and the screen is on a hinge...the wires could have also broken leading to the screen.

Those would be the most common issues.

It's obvious that all computers get warm, but I'm telling you that HP has posted this manufacture defect in their website.  They have a BIOS fix to modify the fan profile to help regulate GPU temperature, but once the GPU chip is affected by constant high temperatures you have to dismantle the laptop to weld it again.  So again, in the course of time the same problem will come back.

I'm worry about this issue and I need more comments because I'm planning to sell my desktop with ASUS motherboard to buy a refurbished or a new notebook or laptop.

Thanks!

I'm running the tm2t with upgraded graphics (separate chip), without an overheating problems. Even when charging the battery, and running intensive applications (e.g. adobe cs5 suite apps) it's fine as long as the vent isn't blocked.

Since it's a laptop and the screen is on a hinge...the wires could have also broken leading to the screen.

I've seen that happen quite often in older laptops, and ended up just getting the screen replaced.

Yeah laptops and heat... not an ideal combo. Something you might want to do ones in a while is screw it open and use a soft brush and a weak  vacuum-cleaner (carefull though). I noticed when i was playing a nice game my laptop was heating up more than useual. Which was nice because it was a harsh battle, but for some reason, a little hair of mine seems to have gotten in to the fan and caused the fan from stopping to work, and if your laptop doesn't shut itself out, it can do some pretty nice damage on top of the combo you did in the game ;)... but you can do that only ones.

Also something to consider: Bigger batteries 9cell+, push your laptop upwards a bit allowing more ventilation underneath your laptop.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.