Alpha testing my browser game

xjermx

Hi folks.

I started learning PHP about a year ago, and my "teach myself PHP project" eventually turned into something that vaguely resembles a game.

link:

http://www.dixieandtheninjas.net/hunter/

proof of ownership:

http://www.dixieandtheninjas.net/hunter/phpfreaks.txt

There is so much yet to do with it, but I'm interested in tracking down bugs, vulnerabilities, etc.

The links on the left hand banner don't work, so ignore those for the time being.  The rest is fair game.

Thanks for any feedback!

Shoutbox is susceptible to XSS attacks, it allows HTML to be entered. Just use htmlspecialchars on the messages and it should fix it.

Another thing is if you register with ' in your name it doesn't complain about it being an invalid character until the form is submitted but it dose complain with spaces so might want to add it.

Nice game though!

If you're using IE, some stuff will not work. I recommend a better browser.

LOL. Seriously though you should check your website with something else then FF4 and Chrome10 there are still people around that use FF2&3 or even older Chrome browsers. There is also Opera, and Safari. You should also make sure your website works in IE7,8&9. They still have the largest market share.

Thanks for the note about XSS attacks.  I patched that, I'll probably do the same in other places where people can enter text.

As to the swear words, I've got a 'deniednames' table, that filters both registration names and character names.  Its nowhere near exhaustive, however, and I've looked into doing preg checking or something, but that seems to create as many issues as it fixes.  Likely, I'll just plan to keep an eye out for crummy names and delete them as needed.

As for the browser part, you're right of course.  If I was doing this professionally, I would also be taking pains to ensure that the java coding that I'm throwing in would not completely break the site for people without java enabled, but I'm of half a mind to be an ogre about it, and instead insist on people using modern browsers.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're using IE, some stuff will not work. I recommend a better browser.

LOL. Seriously though you should check your website with something else then FF4 and Chrome10 there are still people around that use FF2&3 or even older Chrome browsers. There is also Opera, and Safari. You should also make sure your website works in IE7,8&9. They still have the largest market share.

Thats a very unfortunate piece of information but true =[

bloody IE it really annoys me how they have flooded the marked with their completely useless browser and caused us so much grief. personally I think all webmasters (for want of a better word) should stop coding for IE and cause a revolution

I think all webmasters (for want of a better word) should stop coding for IE and cause a revolution

IE is not the best browser around and we all know that. But daily internet users don't even know what a Browser is, because they never heard the word. Even Internet Explorer means nothing to them. Hard to believe, but very true. However these people make up for roughly 80% of the market of whom one of may be your boss or your client and they don't care about your grudges/frustration. All they think of is the deliverable and the time for product-to-market.

As a software developer you have a responsibility and not damage/lose your honor by something as stupid as IE. There are many good reasons to go against the stream, but IE is not one of them!

• 2 weeks later...

You should also make sure your website works in IE7,8&9. They still have the largest market share.

Not according to these statistics they don't...

You can always ask the user to upgrade if they are using a shoddy browser.

<!--[if lte IE8]>
<div class="upgradeBrowser">
You are using an old browser, this site looks and funtions best on modern browsers.
Please view <a href="a link to browser statistics">these statistics</a> to see the most popular browsers in use today. I strongly recommend you upgrade your browser.</div>
<![endif]-->

My site currently will not let in IE6 at all. IE 7 and 8 users are asked once to upgrade but they can still use the site on their crappy browser if they wish. Everyone else can use the site without popups :D

You should also make sure your website works in IE7,8&9. They still have the largest market share.

Not according to these statistics they don't...

They do according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers. 70% of statistics is make-believe anyway.

Vista shipped with IE7 and they still do unless they told the Update client to update IE explicitly. Windows 7 clients have IE8. Believing everyone is browsing IE9 is just plain dumb and won't be unless they get an enormous incentive like "a free Ferrari for everyone who upgrades to FF4 or Chrome 10" (not going to happen!!).

I never said those statistics were the most reliable.

If you go through all the different statistical websites, you will probably come to having roughly 30-40% of all users in IE nowadays (I reckon). Also, the data which wikipedia gets their browser statistics from is StatCounter, and they don't even include IE9 in their comparison. It's been more than 6 months now since it was released. I don't think you can rely on any of the information given purely from one site. If you want real statistics you have to compare at least 4 or 5 sources minimum. You could also start logging the details of users browser on your site yourself if you wanted, then tailor your site according to your crowd if you find a huge proportion of them are all using the same browser. As W3 says, "Some web sites attract professional developers using professional hardware, while other sites attract hobbyists using old low spec computers." I bet not a single user of this website has Internet Explorer as their default ;D

Believing everyone is browsing IE9 is just plain dumb and won't be unless they get an enormous incentive like "a free Ferrari for everyone who upgrades to FF4 or Chrome 10" (not going to happen!!).

I don't delude myself. There IS a large society of tech retards out there who just stick with what their given. And unfortunately 90% of the time, what they are given/buy is a Windows PC with crappy IE on it.

I don't think they need such a huge incentive as that however. I think a simple, "Your browser is old and cannot cope with many sites currently on the web today" would cause most of them to upgrade.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.