Using a PHP variable in an MySQL query

nickholt1972

I want to select items from my database where the id for the record is equal to the PHP variable being passed from the previous page. In theory the code should look something like...

[b]$productdetails = @mysql_query('SELECT * FROM stocks WHERE id = $_SESSION['cart'][$i]');[/b]

But I don't seem to be able to use a variable in a query.

Does anyone know of an alternative method for getting round this problem?

Thanks,

Nick.

Enclose {$var} or dot ' . $var . '...

example (1)

// enclose method

[code]$productdetails = @mysql_query ( 'SELECT * FROM stocks WHERE id = {$_SESSION['cart'][$i]}' );[/code]

example (2)

// dot method

[code]$productdetails = @mysql_query ( 'SELECT * FROM stocks WHERE id = ' . $_SESSION['cart'][$i] );[/code]

Notice on the right side of the variable, there is no * [b]. '[/b] *, because it isn't needed when a variable beigins or ends a function(s) param value or a echo and print statement or any $varible assignment!

me!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.