How's this Template

Skatecrazy1

hmm its actually not bad (first impressions). the only things i'd say:

1) the links (nav) on the left look a bit 'text' ish. maybe you could do a little more with this - even if it just means getting rid of the '-' before each item
2) not sure whether its the screen i'm on as on a different computer today, but i can see it being a problem being able to read the white text properly towards the bottom of the page, as the gradient gets lighter.

First impressions are good. The header image looks nice - with the keyboard and cat5e cabling.
As Mark said - your Menu list is understyled in comparison with the rest of the page/design.

Your theme of blue (e.g. for a href's and login button) is nice.

I do have to think however about the implementation of this design/template in html.
Will it be a fixed width or fluid width?
There will be quite a lot of css containers required to hold the design together - epecially if its going to be a fluid width.

The padding of the main center text container is a bit much IMO, especially as there is little padding in your menu and user panels.

I wouldnt mind something in the top right of the header image etc. to draw the eye to the right side of the page a little.

Anyways - tis nice.

Also - you could make the headings a little bigger for the menu and user panels.

-steve

I realize that this is just a template, but this looks to be very heavily based on graphics. Graphics-based layouts tend to take a relatively long time to load, and are likely to break in different browsers. If you are indeed planning on using so many images, I encourage you to try and find a way to use CSS to achieve a similar result. Your visitors will be much happier about the download and rendering times, and you may find that it actually looks pretty good.

Okay well thanks for all of your comments.

You can see a coded version [url=http://www.snapskate.com/site/templates/konsolidated/]HERE[/url]

as a note, I didn't use framesets I used the overflow:auto attribute to keep the design from chopping up

this is one of my first actually good-looking templates so I didn't go into making it very practical, I was just seeing what I was capable of

I'm not going to comment on the design (I'm lazy right now, al you have to do is ask and you'll get the full length review), but I can comment on the HTML: it's crooked.

No doctype, no namespace, both upper and lowercase tags and attributes, cluttering of width and heigth attributes when unnessary, etc...

It's Xhtml nor Html, it's a mess.

gradient kills the contrast, which i'm going to echo from the others.  copyright text at the bottom (and in retrospect, all the "title" text) is hard to read because it's a little dark and blurry.  the bevels and drop shadows are a little overused, and in my opinion they scream "i can follow tutorials!"  that might just be me, but the first thing i think when i see bevels and drop shadows is "looks like someone found the filters / layer effects menu."

otherwise it looks good, albeit like the hundreds of other templates out there.  a little generic for my tastes, but i suppose that's what templates are meant to be.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.