Variables inside a file...

devWhiz

So say I have a file with the contents..

; this is a comment
var2 : variable 
; another comment 
var3 : file.txt 

how would I be able to do

<?php

echo $var2; 

?>

That would echo "variable"

and

<?php

$file = file($var3);

?>

So its reading the file to get the variable from the text file and if the line starts with ";" its disregarded..

Thanks

This looks straight forward CLUEL3SS. OPEN the file READ each line and examine the line for the properties your looking for. php string functions to use are found here: http://php.net/manual/en/ref.strings.php.

The only problem I see is "$file = file($var3);".  Why store the text file name as a variable? FILE 3 : file.txt  Maybe a better way of storing it.

Hope this helps, if not just speak up.

Well, I would just use the array:

echo $array['var2'];

Or you could extract() the array and it would create the vars for you.

that worked thanks man!!

This looks straight forward CLUEL3SS. OPEN the file READ each line and examine the line for the properties your looking for. php string functions to use are found here: http://php.net/manual/en/ref.strings.php.

The only problem I see is "$file = file($var3);".  Why store the text file name as a variable? FILE 3 : file.txt  Maybe a better way of storing it.

Hope this helps, if not just speak up.

I appreciate your help as well !

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.