Searching and Indexes

pootlecat

Hi,

I have a fair sized table now (1,955,041 rows) and it currently has two indexes:
PRIMARY is the ID number
and
Keywords is a FULLTEXT index of the Keywords column (Text).

In my first query type I also check two other fields: Disabled and Toplevel

[CODE]SELECT * FROM files WHERE Disabled='0' AND TopLevel='clipart' AND MATCH (Keywords) AGAINST ('+tree' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ORDER by ID;[/CODE]

In my first query type I do not have keywords but am rather checking to see if an image belongs to a particular category like so:

[CODE]SELECT * FROM files WHERE Disabled='0' AND TopLevel='clipart' AND (Category='Food' OR Category2='Food' OR Category3='Food' OR Category4='Food') ORDER by ID[/CODE]

I am very much a beginner with MySQL. My question is, are there any other indexes (or anything else) that I can do that will speed up the results, some of which are appallingly slow!?

+----------------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field                | Type            | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+----------------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| ID                  | int(20) unsigned |      | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| Disabled            | char(2)          |      |    | 0      |                |
| TopLevel            | varchar(50)      |      |    |        |                |
| Keywords            | text            |      |    |        |                |
| Category            | varchar(100)    |      |    |        |                |
| Category2            | varchar(20)      |      |    |        |                |
| Category3            | varchar(20)      |      |    |        |                |
| Category4            | varchar(20)      |      |    |        |                |

I changed things around a little. Here is the one query and its explain statement:

Current Indexes
===============
Keyname Type Cardinality Action Field
PRIMARY  PRIMARY 1788750      ID 
disab_cat  INDEX 11      Disabled  Category 10 
disab_cats  INDEX 15      Disabled  Category 10  Category2 10  Category3 10  Category4 10 
Keywords  FULLTEXT 1      Keywords 

Explain Results
===============
EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM files_webgraphics WHERE Disabled='0' AND Category='Arrows' ORDER by ID

id  select_type  table            type  possible_keys        key      key_len  ref        rows  Extra 
1  SIMPLE      files_webgraphics ref  disab_cat,disab_cats disab_cat 14      const,const 121438 Using where; Using filesort

Other Info
==========
Disabled is either 1 (disabled) or 0 (not disabled).
Category is one of the following:
  Animations, Buttons, Rules
  Arrows, Bullets, Textures
  Backgrounds, Objects, Words

Actually, looking at it again, there are a few things that you can do.  First, you can use a self-JOIN to have one index used for FULLTEXT and the other using a covering index for both other fields.  Second, you can simply UNION a bunch of results, instead of using ORs, so that you get proper index utilization.

Is this what you mean?

(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Disabled='0' AND Category='Food')
UNION
(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Disabled='0' AND Category2='Food')
UNION
(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Disabled='0' AND Category3='Food')
UNION
(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Disabled='0' AND Category4='Food')
ORDER by ID

and I should have 4 corresponding indexes?

Thanks - that seems to work really well.

Now I am just left with one more problem. The second query just got a lot more complicated and I have tried going the UNION route with it too but I am not sure that is the best way. This is what I have now:

[code](SELECT * FROM files WHERE Disabled='0' AND Colour='1' AND MATCH (Keywords)
AGAINST ('cat' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND Category='Animals')
UNION
(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Disabled='0' AND Colour='1' AND MATCH (Keywords)
AGAINST ('cat' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND Category2='Animals')
UNION
AGAINST ('cat' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND Category3='Animals')
UNION
AGAINST ('cat' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND Category4='Animals') ORDER by rand(2)[/code]

Colour can only be 1 or 0 so I assume I should just ignore this too?

In general, you can "pull out" parts of the WHERE clause that won't be retrieved from an index "outside" the individual UNIONs (i.e. for the previous query, pulling disabled=0 "outside"); however, in the case, you'd be left with the FULLTEXT and categoryN indexes, which can't be combined, so you have to get more fancy (UNTESTED, but you should get the idea):

[code]
SELECT * FROM files
INNER JOIN
(
(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Category='Animals')
UNION
(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Category2='Animals')
UNION
(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Category3='Animals')
UNION
(SELECT * FROM files WHERE Category4='Animals')
) AS filesByCategory
ON ( files.id = filesByCategory.id )
WHERE MATCH (files.Keywords) AGAINST ('cat' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
AND files.Disabled='0' AND files.Colour='1'
[/code]

Thanks again for all your help! :)
Everything seems to work ok at the moment. I am just going to do a little testing with EXPLAIN and timing the results to see how it is all working.

One other quick question - I've taken to sorting by "rand(2)" to mix things up a little and I was wondering if this is known to cause a performance hit with larger tables/results? Is there a better way to "randomise" results?

Yes, ORDER BY RAND() can be quite slow -- because it needs to calculate a random number for every record, and then sort them -- but it's not very straightforward to do it differently.  I suggest you check out [url=http://jan.kneschke.de/projects/mysql/order-by-rand/]this link[/url].

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.