mysql_connect() problem

robert_gsfame

mysql_connect("$host", "$username", "$password")or die("cannot connect to server");

i create a connection and let say there is a problem with the server so that the connection can't established

my question is how can i avoid the default error to be displayed which is

WARNING: mysql_connect() blablabla

as it is annoying to see such error message.

thx in advance

In a development environment you want those errors, so that you can spot them instantly and fix them. On a production environment however, you should have all error messages disabled anyway. If possible this should be set within the server's php.ini configuration file, but if not you can set it from within the code:

ini_set('display_errors', 0);

error_reporting() should still be enabled, albeit at a much higher level (fatal errors only), so that the server's error log still gets them. That way if users start reporting issues with the site, you can show them a "Sorry we're having technical difficulties" type error, but then look-up the actual error in the log. Best scenario would be also to get an email when ever a fatal error is triggered. Of course you don't want this on DEV, you just want all errors displayed instantly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.