My Social Networking Website. In progress, looking for suggestions

shortysbest

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should have a link where your logo is so that you go to a page where it tells more about the site. Its the first thing I wanted to do because I am very skeptical about giving information unless I know what it is, even if it is just to sign up for something.

I like your sense of humor: http://www.kithell.com/#/profile&id=2 hehe :Dhttp://www.kithell.com/#/profile&id=34 .. http://www.kithell.com/#/profile&id=22

(kit)Hell and friendship/romance don't work well, think of a different name ;)

I can't say anything about your back-end skills, but you certainly have awesome front-end skills. I really like the website, clean!

have a look at these books it should help:

Oreilly.Designing.Social.Interfaces.Sep.2009.pdf

Designing for the Social Web.pdf

Oreilly Building Social Web Applications.pdf

Tagging People-powered Metadata for the Social Web.pdf

wowebook_Addison.Wesley.The.Developers.Guide.to.Social.Programming.Aug.2010.pdf

PHP5.pdf

i have all these books at my disposal but am having problems posting them on here . good luck and good site and you should work on your layout of the site although the functionality of it is good having an easy to use interface and aesthetic look will bring home the crowd. :D

WHOA! this is beast!!!!!!!!!!!! 

sorry for a noob question

may i know what text editor and web programming language you used??

how many programming languages should i learn to code a website?

a website this well-coded will take an advanced user. Assuming you have no background in programming, it would take AT LEAST a year of programming to get to that level (AT LEAST!), then months to build it.

WHOA! this is beast!!!!!!!!!!!! 

sorry for a noob question

may i know what text editor and web programming language you used??

how many programming languages should i learn to code a website?

a website this well-coded will take an advanced user. Assuming you have no background in programming, it would take AT LEAST a year of programming to get to that level (AT LEAST!), then months to build it.

Yes, I started PHP around a year ago (probably only spent around 3-4 months actually programming though).

Looks pretty good. Nothing to do on it though. Will need to add a lot of functionality to it. Like the Ajax work you did on it thus far though.

Thank you. Yeah there needs to be a lot more features before it's usable, once I get out of High School in 3 weeks I will be spending my time doing so. Haven't had very much time to work on it recently with Graduation upcoming. Thanks for your input.

Website looks very clean. I would check your url param validation throughout. I can change the params/ids in the url that produce unexpected results. Make sure you are protected against code injection.

I would recommend you find a niche for your site. It's pointless just going global with it as another social network for everyone to use. People may say they have issue with FB but the simple fact is that they will not let go of it. It is too large. It's the same as when Apple launched the iPhone 4 with faults. Everyone kicked up a fuss, got offered a refund or a rubber case by Steve Jobs, did they go for the refund, no, they bought more. All down to the brand!

Go for something small to start like getting people from school to use it. I would tailor groups to what goes on in your school. Then, if it is successful open it up further to other areas.

Unless you have a niche then nobody will use a second network along side FB as it will be seen as double the effort and a waste of time.

If you are using this as a development exercise then I say well done. You have produced something that functions & looks very good. If you are looking at a commercial venture then I think you need more thought.

Again, well done.

P.S If you are the next Mark Zuckerberg i'll be asking for a job!

• 2 weeks later...

neil.johnson: Thanks, I totally understand what you're saying. It is too much alike facebook at the moment, I intend to change that, I am just building a skeleton with basic functions to get it all up and running and overtime my intentions are to evolve it into something completely different and better. This is primarily a project to expand my skills and show them, however if I can build something enough people like and want to use regularly I will continue working on it as a company, I would love to have a big social networking website, that's my dream, but I'm just going one step at a time. Even if this doesn't become popular, well, I've got a website to show companies what kind of skills I have. (Mind you I haven't even graduated High School yet)

• 3 weeks later...

It's a decent start, and I can see a lot of work has gone into it, but it's very insecure.

You need to be doing validations on everything. It only took me about 30 seconds to find my first exploit: You're not doing validation on who can delete what. Anyone can call your post_remove() javascript function, or query ajax/post_remove_add.php and delete any post they want.

I like the user page design. It reminds me of a twitter site. My suggestion is to make it a specific niche and to figure out how you plan to make money either through adwords or what with it. I started a site like it www.nibbie.com (its not up) --however it will function like http:www.spiffiedeals.com, which I am working on now. But, one thing I wish I thought of was the ads(or whatever) within the design before I started making it. Because, its been alot of work changing everything around.

Thanks for your feedback!

& yeah, I have thought about ads, merely, I have kept that in my mind throughout designing the pages so when the time comes it will be an easy implication, however I am going to do my best to limit the number of ads it has, just enough that it would cover the expenses for the website, and some profit. I don't want to be known as the website that only has ads, like many websites do. (This is all assuming I am able to make a successful social network) :)

its really really hard. Most of my time with my site has been getting it to work right. which for the most part I have alot of the issues worked out. Next, is getting users to create accounts and content on the site. but you can get by, by just creating fake users to create content which I have been doing.  last is figuring a way to make a profit off of it which I am working.

But, for me if I make money I make money its more about the challenge of creating and designing the site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.spiffiedeals.com/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.