My Social Networking Website. In progress, looking for suggestions

shortysbest

This is pretty amazing, and i've always wanted to do something like this but i don't have the knowledge to do so, If you would like a guy thats willing to learn anything or do anything or just anything to help you out, am that guy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good user interface! Much easier to navigate than FB in my opinion. The only criticism I would have is that your website is TOO MUCH like facebook at the moment. Perhaps you are planning on adding many features in the future but at the end of the day will one or two features get the crowds to switch over? Keep that in mind!

Aise from that good job! keep it up. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Really? What browser? Last time i looked it was fine in webkit and firefox. You should also be able to just hit enter to submit it

I've attached a screen shot.  Enter does not do anything.  FF 3.6 Ubuntu 10.04.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This looks really good. It'd be interesting to see what all has gone into the framework, but it works great from what I saw. I wish I was this far along when I was still in high school, haha.

My only question would be if you've thought much about scalability. Just because you're making a social network to be better than facebook and if you're really serious about this you'll have to consider scaling at some point. Another reason to consider it is because the site may be running great now, but what about when it has 100,000 users or 1 million and so on. It can seem to far off to worry, but to prepare for scalability as far as databases goes completely changes the database design and functionality.

Thank you! For the scalability, yeah I have taken some consideration in that when making my database designs, over the period of time that I have been working on this (I have several other versions of this  in a much less finished state where I had started new from the ground up on design and such) & each time I have learned from my mistakes. My database has been rebuilt and enhanced atleast 5 times, so far, so I feel like I may have a pretty good hand on that, for now. Of course I'm sure there is plenty of room for improvement, as I am by no means a professional database/programmer.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm I don't know.  It seems like you keep copying your design layouts from facebook or google+. PReviously your site mimicked FB now it resembles google+. You won't win the social networking battle if you just copy layouts. What's interesting is that google+ is a remake of fb. So where does that put you at?

This is not necessarily a criticism; it is something to think about.

I appreciate your critique and I'm with you 100%.

I'm sure this goes without saying, I'm not the best with coming up with new designs and systems, on the fly that is. I'm more of one that takes the basic principle of a feature, then as I come up with new thoughts along the way implement change on those. Most everything will be changed before it's all said and done, for instance; Notifications, I have to come up with a completely new innovative system that works better, and is still simple; that's a tough challenge. As far as the features for the site, I've got new feature ideas, but again, it's something that I have to take a step at a time.

Another thing I was hoping to get was some insight as far as how others thought would be a better way of doing something, and features that would be good.

Again thanks for your feedback, it's all appreciated

• 1 year later...

I think you need to change the top banner, just to give the site its own identity rather than looking like every other Bootstrap site. The layout of the pages are good though; everything seems straight forward and easy to use. Obviously Bootstrap handles a lot of the design aspect for you, but you've managed to keep things well organised, balanced and clean.

While I think you've made a cracking start though, you're site is too much like Facebook to compete with Facebook. You're not going to convince millions of people to switch to a near identical service, that lacks a lot of the features and friends they've grown accustomed to. Instead you need to find a niche within social networking you can exploit; like Twitter and LinkedIn did for example. Not enough people want a new Facebook.

You also need to consider how you're going to open up your database for people to integrate with. An API is just as important as the actual site these days. How have you written the internals of the site?

I think you need to change the top banner, just to give the site its own identity rather than looking like every other Bootstrap site. The layout of the pages are good though; everything seems straight forward and easy to use. Obviously Bootstrap handles a lot of the design aspect for you, but you've managed to keep things well organised, balanced and clean.

While I think you've made a cracking start though, you're site is too much like Facebook to compete with Facebook. You're not going to convince millions of people to switch to a near identical service, that lacks a lot of the features and friends they've grown accustomed to. Instead you need to find a niche within social networking you can exploit; like Twitter and LinkedIn did for example. Not enough people want a new Facebook.

You also need to consider how you're going to open up your database for people to integrate with. An API is just as important as the actual site these days. How have you written the internals of the site?

Thank you for your response and critique. Firstly, I didn't make this using Boostrap, I design and coded every part of the website on my own. In fact I didn't even really know about Boostrap until just Googling them now.

Now, regarding the Facebook comparison, yes I do agree with you completely. I have indeed taken inspiration from Facebooks designs - partially because for right now they are using relatively nice designs, and even many of the parts that are like Facebook, are my own thoughts that I came up with which unfortunately Facebook has done already. I will say this though, I have been working on finding Kithell's niche - I am planning on changing around as much of it as I can in order to make it unique, right now I sort of just wanted to get main functionality up and running, and over time as ideas come to me, change it around. One last thing, with Kithell what I initially was going for was to come up with an improved Facebook experience.

I have not taken any iniative in order to create an API for Kithell - yet, 1) because I haven't wanted to take the time to work on something like that unless Kithell becomes a hit.

I think it looks great and don't have much more feedback than what was already said.

However, I do pronounce it "Kit - Hell" in my head. Sorry if that's your last name, or something. But similar to how facebook dropped "The", I think you should drop the last "L". Kithel.

I think it looks great and don't have much more feedback than what was already said.

However, I do pronounce it "Kit - Hell" in my head. Sorry if that's your last name, or something. But similar to how facebook dropped "The", I think you should drop the last "L". Kithel.

Thanks yeah I get the whole "Kit-Hell" thing a lot, even though when I first came up with it I never realized that haha. It's really just suppose to be more like, "Kith-ell".

Also, Kithell isn't my last name, "Kith" actually means, "One's friends, acquaintances, and relations." Bu the "ell" is just something I randomly came up with.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.