QuickOldCar Posted April 20, 2011 Share Posted April 20, 2011 Doing some wash here in my basement as I do some work on the computer. Dryer made a funny noise, then i smelled something burning, room filling with smoke. I ran to the dryer and flames were shooting out the door, the bottom, and even out the little cracks in the sides. These were wet clothes burning as I just placed them in not more than 5 minutes prior. It’s a 220 electric dryer. I went and hit the breaker, got buckets of water and doused the flames in and out. Then more smoke was there, so much I could barely see. While not standing directly in lots of water, I carefully unplugged the dryer from further use. Now it was time to clear the smoke from the house. Every window and door open. Fan directly at back door pointing out, one room upstairs a fan in each of the 2 windows pointing out. My basement bilco door wide open. All the while checking to make sure the fire was indeed out. So a few more buckets of water in it certainly couldn’t hurt. Here’s what happened, the something with the drum broke, clothes went down the bottom directly onto the element through the space of the drum and back wall. Is amazing that wet clothes can burn that way, but a lot of electricity can burn anything. Being a former Fire Systems Inspector I am very familiar in how to put out certain types of fires. I wrote this article to warn others the hazards of your dryer. This could happen to anyone at any time, I'm just glad I was sitting near it at the time. (Although not related to my fire) At this time I will also remind people to clean out all the lint from within their dryer and the vent hose, don't forget to unplug it or also turn off the gas if is a gas unit. Keep an eye on them and never leave them unattended for long. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.