Photography Portfolio website

eddytheflow

Hey guys, just finished up my website on my own,

and with a lot of help various developers who share their code.

So here is what I've got:

www.ed-yu.com

http://www.ed-yu.com

Right off the bat, I didn't build with graceful degradation in mind, so I've pretty much left non-JS enabled people to a less UI-friendly experience. But at least it works..

I've managed to smooth out my html code using the w3 validator, but haven't done so for the css.

My biggest problem thus far is the contact form. I keep getting sporadic emails with empty fields

i.e.

Name:

Subject:

I suck at php and might have to ask about this on another post, but for now, thanks for any input!

I'm loving the design, so simplistic and elegant.

What I don't love:

• All the images are loaded, whether I like it or not.
  • The images, could use a plugin like FancyBox, instead of going directly to the image.
  • The "What I'm about" section by the contact form, not liking the contrast between the black background and white text.

One thing worth mentioning about one page websites, they are load intensive, and since you have a lot of images being displayed I'd prefer the option to load the different sections on command.

Other than that, good job.

thanks for the feedback mens!

-- i changed the black background on in the about section, you're right, too harsh.

-- I'm a little distraught that you mentioned fancybox, because I'm actually using it. What browser are you using? i might need to debug some more.

-- as far as all the images being loaded, -all- of them.. that never occurred to me, as a problem but now I put that at the top of my list.

Apprently, Desandro, the creator of the masonry plugin i'm using, hasn't added any support to change the default filter to anything other than "all", he's trying to sell his isotope plugin.. understandable.. but now I may have to sacrifice some image quality or be a bit more selective with that I display.

open to suggestions.

Thanks again mens, great advice

ugh I tried it with chrome and the fancybox works for me..

and this is why webdesign is hard!

but anyways, Quicksand looks like it's going to be very useful.

I'll probably work on that in the next couple weeks, seeing if I can get everything to work.

In the meantime I tried to 301 redirect from www.ed-yu.com to www.ed-yu/com/#recent

but that ain't working out so well =\

*edit* not working out so well, probably because both addresses are on the same page... ugh!

I've got the 301 redirect working, not so elegant, but it hopefully helps with the image burden by automatically sorting the images to the "recent" category.

I've also made the PDFs in the services area open a new window.

the social icons and blog areas also open a new window now.

i think these changes make sense

The site is nice and I'm liking the one-page approach. Also you have some good pictures there and being a hobbyist photographer myself, I was more interested in those than the actual design :)

The only thing that bothers me is content separation. You could try some light color changes in the background of different content sections, so that visitors understand what it's all about. Something simple that plays an important role. Otherwise, everything is nice and simple.

thanks a lot guiltygear!

nice to know that my pictures influence the design a bit.

and totally agree with the content separation comment, now that you mention it.

i think out of laziness i must have just kept similar backgrounds, and then just forgot about it.

i'll look into finding some better contrasting backgrounds, for content separation

thanks again gg

• 2 weeks later...

Its pretty good, I think a photography site should always have a rotating  main splash image so that people always can see your stuff without navigating the site. The smooth layout helps focus on the subject manner which is the most important thing in a portfolio.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.