Logging into a remote site (htaccess) using fsockopen

mcguile25

Hi, I am trying to be able to write a PHP script that will connect to an external site that has a restricted directory (htaccess) that I want to redirect the user to.  Obviously I have to send over the username and password in the headers.  I have everything working, but what's happening is all I am getting back is the HTML for the index file in the folder in question from the server...but I want to literally redirect the user to that external site after I've been authenticated...how is that possible?  Here is my code:

[code]
$fp = fsockopen( $host, 80, $errno, $errstr );

$auth = base64_encode( "$username:$password" );

$out = "GET $path HTTP/1.0\r\n";
$out .= "Host: $host\r\n";
$out .= "Connection: Keep-Alive\r\n";
$out .= "Authorization: Basic $auth\r\n";
$out .= "\r\n";

fputs( $fp, $out );
$response = "";
while ( !feof( $fp ) )
{
$response .= fgets( $fp, 4096 );
}

fclose( $fp );
[/code]

You can't do that, a remote request, is remote request, it has nothing to do with a client request. In other words you can redirect a client and have them use your remote request credentials. The only way is to give them the username and password, if you don't want to do that, then your out of luck!

me!

Yes, it seems curl can only give you the contents of the requested page, but I want the user to be able to follow links from that page.  I don't think curl was made for that:

Is the only way to do this is by using the http://username:password@url scheme?

By doing this, all of the links show the username and password in the status bar as I am highlighting the links.

Is there any other way??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.