Do entry level php developer positions exist?

atrum

As the topic of this post states. I have been looking for a job as a php developer that provides an environment for someone wanting to start out at a beginners level php development. The only problem is, I have not found any. Most php dev jobs want you to already have a decent portfolio setup, plus a degree of some kind.

The only reason I don't have a decent portfolio is the fact that I have a hard time following through with my own personal projects. I tend to work on one part of it, and once I am done with that I move onto something different, and unrelated to the last project.

I have gained alot of experience doing that, but as a result I have nothing finished that I can post. I find that if someone gives me a project, and a goal to finish it by then I do a lot better.

So I restate the question: Do entry level php dev jobs exist?

Junior developer positions exist. The criteria for these positions are usually that you have studied at college or university and have an understanding of the language. You may have used it for a project in your coursework. They may be open for self taught individuals but you will need a portfollio of work to demonstrate your knowledge.

You could go on freelancer.com and get your first few projects there, you'd have to be willing to work for little money, but it's a good way to get your first experiences and stock up your portfolio. Other sites are a bit more high standard and it is harder to stick through between the professional competition.

Well, I started to put up a portfolio and some examples and already I am getting calls from places wanting a web developer  :o

This is what I provided them.

curtisdorris.com

icca.exiled-alliance.com

curtisdorris.com/portfolio2

I definitely can say this has got me excited.

1 of 2 things are going to happen.

1. I find out I am way under qualified, but I leave with a better idea of what I will need for next time.

or

2. I get the job, and continue to progress in my skills.

Ether way I guess this is going to end well.

Congrats, hope the interviews go well.

I started a job as a junior web developer two days ago, it was my first interview for a php job and I had no portfolio or qualifications in web scripting. I got the job because of a half finished site (http://www.addictionlane.co.uk) and the confidence in my abilities I displayed in the interview. The job is good because I enjoy programming, but it takes about two hours to get in a sociable frame of mind after I finish. I get home and I'm like a vegetable lol

I definitely can say this has got me excited.

1 of 2 things are going to happen.

1. I find out I am way under qualified, but I leave with a better idea of what I will need for next time.

or

2. I get the job, and continue to progress in my skills.

Ether way I guess this is going to end well.

That's the spirit!

Absolutely, don't be afraid to apply for a job. I was always hesitant to apply for jobs because they wanted someone with a degree, but I have since learned that most job postings are really only stating what is the optimal (not minimal) candidate. I am a self-taught developer and landed my first real developer job 2 years ago.

I was told that the biggest reason that got me hired is that I had personal projects outside of work (where I did Dev work but it was not my primary function).

We in fact just filled a entry level developer spot, it took 4 months to find someone.

Well, the interview I feel went very well.

The most in depth question I got asked was if I could describe how I would setup a user comment system with data from 2 different tables. :D

They seemed pretty excited about someone finally applying for the position they posted.

I'm surprised by your postings, I thought the IT world is highly competitive and certifications are a must. If I may ask what type of jobs or companies are those you guys applied? Did the people ask why you never got a certification for this profession?

Well the place I applied for was just looking for someone who understood the programming process and could take on small jobs and then work up to larger projects. So it is definitely an entry level position. I think the fact that I am in college with a major in web development is what caught their interest. I say that because if you look at my 2 examples I posted above, it only really shows my skills in html/css and some javascript. Which is still pretty basic stuff.

I showed a big interest in continuing to learn and progress in my skills. I think employers are looking for people with that kinda of motivation.

great thread. i'm a home grown coder, and have no certs or college courses to state to employers.

but have done the odd freelance site for family /friends . you don't always have to have letters after your name, just prove to the employer your ability in the role they are offering.

frankly if you have gotten to interview its more a chance to see if they like you as a person and the skills bit should been covered by your cv/resume

got a job as a oop php developer on wednesday. very pleased too!

yay lets all go to work doing what we love

The most in depth question I got asked was if I could describe how I would setup a user comment system with data from 2 different tables.

What was your answer?

I told them that I would grab the data from the 2 tables using either a left or a right join, then create an html template for the comments giving each value it's own place holder for the data found in the 2 tables, and then run the data and the template through a foreach to display them in order or just a for statement to limit the total comments seen on 1 page.

That seemed to be the answer they were looking for, unless they wanted explicit details haha.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.