Passing a variable from Javascript to PHP?

BellQuestWars

Okay, I have been looking into this for the last 3 hours, and cant find shit.  I have a page with a javascript game where the player moves around on a map. They have an X and Y coordinate, but I'm having a problem. The problem is I need to store that info in a database, and I'm having trouble learning AJAX.  Heres a little list of things:

Play loads the game. A php variable is taken from a database.

The player goes to those X and Y coordinates.

The player may move around. Once they move, the player is sent to a php page that updates the Database information.

The page is refreshed to the game again, where they may then move around some more.

The problem is, when the page is changed the values are lost. For some reasons cookies aren't working at all (like just not working for anything, even a completely different file.)  I heard something about using $_GET or $_POST, but I dont see how...

btherl is correct.

I would sort out $_GET and $_POST before thinking about ajax.  If you aren't familiar with them it's time to do a tutorial on forms and php.

I had the same issue earlier this week.  Took me lots of heartache and suffering because I am a superNoob when it comes to javascript, but here is my question and own answer.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=331490.0

Kansas

It's certainly possible, assuming your users use a modern browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome (or Safari for the apple people).  Javascript can call a php script, and the data will be available to the script in $_GET or $_POST, depending on how the javascript call was done.  Usually it would be in $_GET.

Javascript can then edit the HTML displayed to the user, depending on the results it gets from PHP.  Facebook is a good example of this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.