Playstation network down for 15 days and counting.

BellQuestWars

I'm sure many of you know this already, but Sony's Playstation network has been down for 15 weeks. It is supposed to come back online this week, but things are looking better as the network goes online in Japan. What are your thoughts on it? Do you think they handled it right? Do you think otherOS is anygood? Is the Playstation network complete crap?

I'm sure many of you know this already, but Sony's Playstation network has been down for 15 weeks.

I think you mean 15 days.

Right, stuff happens but I think it was handled poorly.  Sony was slow to respond and 15 days is a long time, especially for you video game junkies.  They claimed PSN would be back online May 4th, which obviously is not the case.  I'm not a PS3 user, although I think it's a great system, I'm glad I have XBox with XBox Live, even if it costs me $50/yearly.

lots of partners noticed many undone diy jobs being done in the last 15 days...

it was bought down by the MW2 widows  :P

my mates got one and its driving him mad lol. I'm glad i kinda got over my gaming addiction, MMOs stole many years from me, and only play EVE now, and thats not often either

I'm glad i kinda got over my gaming addiction, MMOs stole many years from me, and only play EVE now, and thats not often either

lol...same here...halo took away at least 4 years of my life..now i play PHP  :o;D

I'm glad i kinda got over my gaming addiction, MMOs stole many years from me, and only play EVE now, and thats not often either

lol...same here...halo took away at least 4 years of my life..now i play PHP  :o;D

have you tried the sequels? im on php 5 now, its the best version of the game yet  :P

Sony was slow to respond...

Sure, I can agree to that. I honestly think that's my biggest gripe about it all, was how slow they were to give us updates. Sometimes not even once a day, whereas Amazon when AWS East Coast went out (another grand fiasco) they were updating at least once an hour. Sure, PSN isn't mission critical like AWS could be, but still, it would've been nice to have some more updates sooner.

I'm glad I have XBox with XBox Live, even if it costs me $50/yearly.

Which brings up a good point. Oh no, a FREE service went down. Sure, privacy was breached, but besides credit card info, you can find most of the other stuff (name, address, phone, age) just by looking around on the internet or God forbid we break out a phone book and flip through that.

question is...do you think that the same thing could happen to xbox live?

Yes, it has already happened many years ago. They also got the brunt of lawsuit-happy people. IMO, it's a bit worse if XBox live goes down because it is a paid service and I'd expect compensation - much like if I had signed up for PSN+, but I didn't. Thus, I'm grateful to be getting anything Sony hands me in compensation.

People getting completely enraged that they can't play their games online seriously need to step out in the world. Shit happens, oh no. Maybe you can do something productive, instead of sitting in front of a TV all day playing video games. Don't get me wrong, I like to occasionally wind down a long day by playing some games, but uhh... there are many other things to do in life that play on the PSN. Just my $0.02

People getting completely enraged that they can't play their games online seriously need to step out in the world. Shit happens, oh no. Maybe you can do something productive, instead of sitting in front of a TV all day playing video games. Don't get me wrong, I like to occasionally wind down a long day by playing some games, but uhh... there are many other things to do in life that play on the PSN. Just my $0.02

lol...very true, i play now in my free time, which is very little these days

People getting completely enraged that they can't play their games online seriously need to step out in the world.

Yep, too true. They need to step out, take a walk to their bank, cancel their credit cards and ask to be issued with another. Also, take a trip to the estate agents to buy a new house in order to get a new address, go to local government to obtain the forms for a name change (deed poll in the uk), and if they have time, stop at an Internet cafe to get a new email address.

I know it's quite a lot but that's what the terms & conditions are for downloading the latest Call of Duty Black Ops map pack.

Couldn't have put it better, KingPhilip. Also people say they reacted slowly, but in truth they actually shut down the PSN as soon as they found out there had been an intrusion. Can you actually imagine having to make that decision? The impact it would have and the repercussions to follow..

Sure they didn't give updates as often as others, and didn't put it back up in the two or so days they said they would, but they didn't know exactly what had happened themselves. What do you want them to say? Plus if someone's sat hour after hour, just waiting for some scrap of hope from Sony's blog... well it's been said they need to get out more!

Couldn't have put it better, KingPhilip. Also people say they reacted slowly, but in truth they actually shut down the PSN as soon as they found out there had been an intrusion. Can you actually imagine having to make that decision? The impact it would have and the repercussions to follow..

IDK, shutting your network down after it's been compromised is a no-brainer to me.

Sure they didn't give updates as often as others, and didn't put it back up in the two or so days they said they would, but they didn't know exactly what had happened themselves. What do you want them to say? Plus if someone's sat hour after hour, just waiting for some scrap of hope from Sony's blog... well it's been said they need to get out more!

I think they knew a little more then they tell you.  From what I've heard, they didn't give instructions on anything to do, there were hardly any updates, and made false promises to have PSN back up on May 4th (Maybe they didn't lie b/c it was backup in Japan).

Maybe I'm over reacting but if I were a PS3 user, this incident would seriously have me considering switching over to XBox.

I think they knew a little more then they tell you.  From what I've heard, they didn't give instructions on anything to do, there were hardly any updates, and made false promises to have PSN back up on May 4th (Maybe they didn't lie b/c it was backup in Japan).

Oh yeah, I have no doubt they'd have known more than they let on - what company doesn't?

At first they did try to keep people in the know and said it would be back online within a couple of days, which was probably a mistake. Presumably after they re-launched it in Japan, they realised the extent of the intrusion and took it back down; keeping in favour of not saying much over giving false hope/information again.

We can only guess really... As said the data actually exposed was stuff that's pretty much available else-where anyway, or useless on it's own. Any sensitive data like the password, was encrypted and is most likely useless to them -- especially after they re-launch the service and force every use to reset their password on the machine they created the account (or through email).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.