questions, about systems.

Ninjakreborn

I will probably end up building the whole entire thing if I can't find something I like.
I have a project management system now, activecollab, I like it, I think when it hits version 1.0 if it's not what I need I will build my own.

I want a code management system, but don't know what they would be called, or if they even exist.
A place where I can store all my basic files, php, or anything other types of files I use on a regular basis.
A place for source code, and php libraries, and similar groups of pages, or whatever, or entire website backups, so I have all the source code for all the sites I ever built, something that will have what I need with it.  I don't know, any ideas.

CVS/Subversion is a good idea, even for a lone developer, just to keep things organised and up to date. The hardest thing I personally find is making sure that if i'm using my scripts or framework for a project, and update these scripts or the framework itself, that I update the main store of my files for use in the next project. I'm not actually sure there is an easy way to achieve this but I'd be keen to find out...

if I can't find one, I am going to build one, I will try out subversion, I was lookinga t that.
I know I like activecollab but if they don't add a few more features,I am just going to build my own project management system, I am also building a url management system, personal management system also for my website.  And attaching them to my project management system, then I need this code management system, I am getting one, if I can't find a good one, I will build that too.  I have that guy, he is going to work on some more layouts from my site, after I get one, I am going to code it, rewrite content, and send it to him for proofreading.  Then start on the backend admin layout, and whatever else I need to do on it.

Also the website backup system looks pretty good, when it get's more stable I might give it a try.

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=111110.msg450072#msg450072 date=1160503537]
CVS/Subversion is a good idea, even for a lone developer, just to keep things organised and up to date.[/quote]

excellent suggestion. subversion is one of the best time investments you can make when it comes to large-scale projects. i have found myself in dire need of being able to revert to revXXX many a time ;)

yeah it was actually Barand that suggested it to me when I asked a similar question not so long back:
http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,107028.0.html and something steviewdr showed me (Trac - http://trac.edgewall.org/) that made me think more about how i was organising things. It still doesnt solve my problem of when i update "reusable code" during a project and then remembering to update the main ones for the next project, but it sure helps in many other ways.

seriously, you cant expect to learn 3 entire new systems in just a few hours. Subversion is definitely something to pick up if you intend to work in a collaborative team environment in the future. The easiest explaination i was given (before i knew what it was) was "Wikipedia for code" - that is to say, it stores the changes between files rather than a whole new file. Getting used to its terminology is tricky at first but when you get the hang of it, it's priceless.

Way you mean install wikipedia, and use that.

Ok here is the basic's of what I need to find.
I don't necessarily need a text editor, i have my dreamweaver code view for that.  I need a place where I cna do folder names, upload my php, text, and notepad pages whenever I need.

I need to be able to view the pages source in the browser so I can copy code out if needed.  I need to be able to compare versions, or pages.
I need to be able to , move important upload them back from the server, onto my local when needed easily, of course so I can include them in my websites.

no i dont mean install wikipedia (although it'd prob do the job with some mods...) its just the concept of CVS/SVN and Wiki's are similar.

anyway. dreamweaver. also my weapon of choice so i've got this set up:
http://www.nearlygeek.com/tools/subversion-for-dreamweaver/introduction/

seriously though, dont be coming back after 10 minutes saying you dont get it  :D it does take a while to get used to when you first use these sort of version control systems  ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.