Javascript won't work when using header information!

Mutley

This makes no sense to me, I just can't understand it, so I'll try to explain for you to help me.

I'm using a javascript color picker. I have a file called form.php which has all the form options in and it has 2 fields where a color picker is used, when you click a link it opens a DIV box under the form displaying the selectable colours. If I have this code:

[b]EDIT: For some reason I can't post the code, I get a reconnection error.[/b]

In the file with no <html><header><body> tags it works fine.

When I add all the common file tags, like a header.php and footer.php the code doesn't work how it should. When I click the link the DIV box opens in the first form field and not under the 2nd when I click the 2nd.

I've tried putting the code everywhere and no luck, the only way to fix it is to not have the header.php in use (no html/header/body tags).

Any ideas?

This is it:

[code]<S#CRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript" SRC="ColorPicker2.js"></SCRIPT>
<S#CRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
var cp = new ColorPicker(); // DIV style
// Javascript for colour picker
</S#CRIPT>
[/code]

[code] <A HREF="#" onClick="cp.select(document.forms[0].font_content_color,'pick1');return false;" NAME="pick1" ID="pick1">Click here to pick a colour<br />
</A><s#cript language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">cp.writeDiv()</script> </td>
[/code]

And it won't work no matter where I have it. Unless I don't include a header/footer.

I've looked carefully at the source code, it isn't my HTML that is the problem. When I add the Script to the top of my header above the body/header/html tags it works but it cancels all my body/header/tags out because the javascript file is already producing them.

It skips my CSS file, but I can't see anywhere in the JS to show where it is producing these tags. I looked at the source when I included the file to see the code and it seems to think the "for" code tags in the JS file are the header/body/html tags, or along those lines.

The JS files source and example can be found here:
http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/colorpicker/combined_source.html

[quote author=Mutley link=topic=111138.msg451036#msg451036 date=1160675824]
I've looked carefully at the source code, it isn't my HTML that is the problem. When I add the Script to the top of my header above the body/header/html tags it works but it cancels all my body/header/tags out because the javascript file is already producing them.
[/quote]
I have no idea what you mean by "cancels".

[quote author=Mutley link=topic=111138.msg451036#msg451036 date=1160675824]
It skips my CSS file, but I can't see anywhere in the JS to show where it is producing these tags. I looked at the source when I included the file to see the code and it seems to think the "for" code tags in the JS file are the header/body/html tags, or along those lines.
[/quote]
Ditto.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.