My portfolio

PHPete

Right now it all rings hollow.  You assert you make amazing sites, yet your portfolio consists of variations of a singular site.  You claim you use Photoshop, yet there are no graphical elements to speak of.  Do you have any finished sites or layouts that aren't simply different drafts of your home site?  Different iterations of the same site isn't really enticing to potential clients.  I understand it's a chicken and egg scenario, but you really need to show more, even if its simply a bunch of hypothetical templates. 

I'm also not saying this to insult you.  It's just that you seem to be promising a level of skill you may not actually be at presently.  Being honest with clients - potential or actual - is something I strongly believe in.  Marketing language is fine, but don't assert something if it isn't true.  Freelancing is largely about reputation.  Don't damage yours out of the gate. 

The site itself is solid but spartan.  If you're focusing on design, you really need some sort of graphic presence, even if its just a logo or icon.  Look at Smashing Magazine for some inspiration.

I also forgot to mention, regarding my level of skill,

I believe my level of skill in graphic design is adequate for the website design I do.

The reason my website is lacking graphics is that I wanted it to be more functional than anything else.

I also forgot to mention, regarding my level of skill,

I believe my level of skill in graphic design is adequate for the website design I do.

The reason my website is lacking graphics is that I wanted it to be more functional than anything else.

Function can exist with graphical fidelity.  Again, you're a designer.  Graphics come with the territory, and since this is the site to market yourself, you'll need to show what you can do. 

Here's a link to 69 beautiful portfolio sites: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/11/24/69-sexy-portfolio-designs-to-inspire-you/  Some are too busy for my tastes, but there are more than a few that are simple, understated, but still have a touch of something interesting to draw the user in.  They're both nice to look at and very usable.  Use them as inspiration.

If you are a designer, please go back to the design board! no really.

This reminds me of sites built by people who can code but not have any flair in design.

I will leave it at that or I might upset people  :o

but this said, we all start somewhere, and look around for inspiration at other sites and ideas, minimal and functional  doesnt mean do the minimum possible!

as already stated, just make more site examples and you should really experiment with layouts and designs so they are quite different to each other, showing your ability to be creative.

This reminds me of sites built by people who can code but not have any flair in design.

Pretty much.

I can design, but it's really difficult for me.

I know all I have to do is practice, but right now, it's a struggle.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.