How do I view my php files?

Greenie

Hey all,

I assume this is incredibly easy because it didn't warrant a mention in the FAQs and I couldn't even find any topics on the board when I ran a search for phrases like "how view php my file."

I've the Apache server installed, Dreamweaver open and a whole bunch of tutorials open . . . so now what? How do I actually view the files I write?

Greenie.

Depending on your configuration of Apache....you browse to you files via a browser. On my Windoze machine my address is http://localhost/my_file.php. When I type that into the browser and hit Enter, I see 'my_file.php'. It's the same as on a live webhosting company.....many require you to place your files in the 'www' directory. Assuming that you do as they require, you see your pages (files) by typing www.your_url.com into your browser. Hope that helps?

If youre using Apache then it'll be the htdocs directory not www, which will be located in C:\server\Apache2\htdocs\ (if you followed my tutorial that I link to in your earlier thread). If you didnt follow it then by default it'll be located in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs

There'll be some demo html files in that folder. Delete all files in the htdocs folder. Now add your files and folders to that folder. Go to http://localhost/ and you should see your files/folders you just placed in the htdocs folder, or your index file will be shown.

Once again, thanks wildteen.

Everythings working. I'm still surprised that no-one else has ever posted about this. Or, if they have, the forum's search tool hasn't picked them up. I even ran a Google search that turned up nothing of use. I suppose it was a case of common sense.

Thanks for all your help wildteen and realjumper with getting me up and running,
Greenie. ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.