Romku - Collaborative Website that references Software

pmorel

Romku is a collaborative portal with the aim of referencing all software/applications/games/utilities/scripts (currently over 100,000).

The main purpose is to provide as much information for each of them in order for users to make an informal decision on which one you want to buy/contribute/download/play/integrate/use...

Users can submit new software, edit existing profile pages, add screenshots, mark profiles as their favourites, compare multiple profiles, view software features.

Could you kindly visit http://www.romku.com and give me some feedback (would you use the site? isn't the layout too simple? Is it easy to understand what romku is about? Would you recommend such a site to your friends?....)

Thanks for your feedback

• 3 weeks later...

would you use the site?

Not really, I'm a mac user, and have been using VersionTracker for years. Wouldn't change it for anything.

Design is nice and simply though, I like that.

the 'Filter by OS' box is very annoying because it changes the order of the elements.

Did a simple search for 'photoshop' and the first results are all filters... if someone searches for an application name I think it would make more sense to return the applications first.

I also don't like the fact that the search box jumps from one place to another.

Speed is good, Icons have nice quality. Nothing to point out in the design, my issues are more about usability.

The compare feature works with only 1 selected item? that's a bit strange.

I would also link the operating systems (on the top right of each result) directly to the developers websites, instead of having to click first on the details.

Hope this helps,

Although I've seen many sites similar, I like yours too.

Basically you are a cnet, but smaller.

Do you manually collect all this information?

I just don't see how you can keep up with everything out there.

I guess if you keep to quality versus quantity people would like it, less garbage to sift through.

Well good luck to you, hope it goes as you planned it.

@WebStyles, Thanks for your feedback. I did not know about VersionTracker before: it seems it has merged with cnet. Cnet is ok, like most download websites, but the vision for romku is to be more in depth and provide extra information such as a list of features (that you can compare between profiles), real similar profiles, screenshots...

Yes, the design is simple both because I'm not that good at it but also because I want to keep the interface easy to use and without too much ads or irrelevant data.

the 'Filter by OS' box is very annoying because it changes the order of the elements.

Do you mean the order of the filters? or the order of the profiles.

Did a simple search for 'photoshop' and the first results are all filters... if someone searches for an application name I think it would make more sense to return the applications first.

I agree. It's a problem because there's not yet enough ratings. However, I should look into making the 'obvious' ones at the top (searching for 'photoshop' should give you 'photoshop' as the first result)

I also don't like the fact that the search box jumps from one place to another.

Good point again; I will try to move it completly to the top of the page. It's more standard anyway.

Speed is good, Icons have nice quality. Nothing to point out in the design, my issues are more about usability.

Thanks

The compare feature works with only 1 selected item? that's a bit strange.

That's not right indeed, will fix this one too.

I would also link the operating systems (on the top right of each result) directly to the developers websites, instead of having to click first on the details.

Not sure if I agree on this one. Why should clicking on 'Win' go to the profile's website?

Hope this helps,

Of course, thanks for taking the time to visit and give me the feedback. Much appreciated.

@QuickOldCar, thanks for your feedback.

Although I've seen many sites similar, I like yours too.

Basically you are a cnet, but smaller.

Thanks. That's right, cnet but smaller but better...  ;)

Do you manually collect all this information?

I just don't see how you can keep up with everything out there.

I guess if you keep to quality versus quantity people would like it, less garbage to sift through.

At the moment, yes. With time, I'd like the community to participate and developers/publishers of software would update the profile of the software they develop/manage. There's also API that will be used (accessing Apple App Store or Android markets...)

Well good luck to you, hope it goes as you planned it.

Thanks. You can help by spreading the word... ::)

Do you mean the order of the filters? or the order of the profiles.

yes, I mean the filters on the top left side. Once i searched for photoshop, then I clicked OS X in the filter box, and every time I would select another one, they would change their order.

Good luck with the project.  :)

yes, I mean the filters on the top left side. Once i searched for photoshop, then I clicked OS X in the filter box, and every time I would select another one, they would change their order.

I see. I'll see how I can make it more 'stable'.

Good luck with the project.  :)

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.