Date into Form Field with Button?

VinceGledhill

Hi People. 

I am building a logbook application and have a form field where the user will enter a date.

However, I would like to simplify it for the user and give them a button which would add "todays" date into the box for them.

Please could someone tell me the code to do so.  The date format in my DB is YYYY-MM-DD.

The form would also need to take input from the user if they were adding info from a different day instead of today.

Thanks in advance.

<input type="text" name="date" id="date" size = "25"/>
    </label>
     <input type="submit" name="today" id="today" value="Add Today" />

I'm still learning PHP so this may not be the best solution.

You could include a php file with the current date as value:

<?php

$month = date("m");
$day = date("j");
$year = date("Y");

$date = "$year"."-"."$month"."-"."$day";
?>

This will display 2011-05-16.

you could also do something where if the user chooses to add todays date..the code will generate a hidden field with todays date, else it will process whatever date the user inserts into the field..is this data going to be entered into a database?

Look into using a JQuery datepicker. You can configure it to send the value in the correct format. In addition, you can add <select> fields for Y/M/D in the <noscript></noscript> as a backup. Then for either method, just validate the date and insert it into the db.

If all you need is today's date, you could create a JavaScript function to get the date:

function getTodaysDate() {
//GET TODAY'S DATE
var currentTime  = new Date();
var month        = currentTime.getMonth() + 1
var day          = currentTime.getDate()
var year         = currentTime.getFullYear()
var todaysDate   = (year + '-' + month + '-' + day);

//POPULATE THE FORM FIELD
document.form.date.value = todaysDate;
}

Then just call the function using an anchor tag near the form field:

<form name="form" action="#">

<input type="text" name="date" id="date" size = "25"/></label> <script type="text/javascript">document.write('<a href="#dateField" name="dateField" onclick="getTodaysDate();">Use Today\'s Date</a>');</script>

</form>

Note that if you wanted to use a solution like this, you'll need to look into padding the dates.

http://www.electrictoolbox.com/pad-number-zeroes-javascript/

You make sure you validate the value as a valid date. If you're going to use input fields for a date, you should not use type="text" for a date, since you have no way to know what the user's intention is when they enter a value such as 09/08/03. Is it Sep 8 2003? Is it 9 Aug 03? is it Aug 3, 09?

You have much better control over the process if you use a datepicker, with <select> fields as a <noscript> backup.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.