Installing via command line

Ninjakreborn

Can someone help me with this, I got command line access on unix finally, after about 7 hours, of learning linux, I know enough to get around(this experience has taught me a lot though), but right now.

I really, really need help with this, after about 6-7 hours yesterday total fighting with command line I can't get it.

I went here.
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=260&expandFolder=74
I got it here, it was the file called.
[quote]subversion-1.4.0.tar.bz2
Stable danderson on Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 5:14:08 PM Subversion release 1.4.0 (MD5: f0c5fef69fccfb12ef6c8598f484ed0e)[/quote]

I really need help with this, I really, really would appreciate, I don't have any more time to fight with it, unless I was in the right direction.
I don't know python, I didn't really know linux.  I spent about 4-6 hours the first day learning basic python syntax.  THen I didn't know anything about linux, I thought I did, but I had never seen command line, I thought it would be useful, so I stayed up late last night studying about command line.
I can do basic stuff now, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
I downloaded that from the site, unzipped it and ftp'd it to my server(4 hours of waiting)or 1 hours something like that, and I put it in the folder /subversion
then I opened the install in teh browser
I tried going into each folder, I went into subversion folder, and subversion/subversion, I went to almost every directory and tried make install
and install --d directoryname
and read
and nothing was working
thanks.
it also said I need to build it from a tar or something, I think that's what I download over at that link I showed you, I would appreciate anyone who can help me out.

how
I tried everything I could to get that configure script to work
I tried going into the subversion directory
and everything
I tried
./configure
configure
configure.in
or whatever that extension was
I tried going there and doing make install
using the sh command I saw
When I first enter command line I am in the root directory, it's in the subversion folder, how do I run a file, like that, or how do I run the configure file.

Ok I found out how to run files, I am one step closer, I ran the configure file
it told me at the end no suitable apr found
what do I do to get it installed

I found the tar, or whatever it's called on the subversion website, I have unzipped it, and I am uploading it to my server, then I will see after that if I can get it to work.

.bz2 in a bunzip tar file. You have to extract the files first. 

[code]
tar -xjvf /path/to/file/.tar.bz2
[/code]

Then open the directory and follow the directions in the documentation

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL

[b]edit by neylitalo:[/b]Fixed command for untaring a bzip2.

Oh I don't know what version of linux, I downloaded the zip file off there site, for the subversion, and for the dependencies.  I unzipped the folders on my computer, and uploaded everything to the server.

The I tried running the configure, and it didn't do anything, the I installed it with the build folder, it worked, but at the end said I didn't have what I needed.

Then I went back and got the dependencies, adn reinstalled or tried, I unzipped the dependencies, and uploaded them all to my server, and tried running it again, at the end it said I didn't have the proper managers, the overall experience taught me a bit about python, a lot about command line interface, but now I just want to get it installed.

Ok I deleted them off the server.

I have reuploaded the files, and the dependencies, I am going to try this again, just uploading the entire tar file at once, and doing it that way,

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=111191.msg450538#msg450538 date=1160587404]
Businessman, what Linux distribution are you using? It may be simply easier for you to install it via your distribution's package manager. It sounds like you're missing one of subversion's dependencies.
[/quote]

I see you edited my post, isn't that exactly what I had for the tar command?

I downloaded the right versions.  untarred them both
now I ran configure
and I ran make
after that I will run make install
one thing i am wondering, will it hurt with me not having the berkely thing.

Is there a way to add it on there, after I finish the whole process.

Last question, is after all is said and done, how can I get to the program from the browser, to be able to actually use it.

I don't get this, I did the whole thing, I configure, make, and make install, now how do I get to it, I think it worked, it returned some crap a few times, like error 1, but it was doing stuff for like 10 minutes.
What now though, if this doesn't work is the csv or whatever it's called easier to use.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=111191.msg450575#msg450575 date=1160594001]
[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=111191.msg450538#msg450538 date=1160587404]
Businessman, what Linux distribution are you using? It may be simply easier for you to install it via your distribution's package manager. It sounds like you're missing one of subversion's dependencies.
[/quote]

I see you edited my post, isn't that exactly what I had for the tar command?
[/quote]

You had -xzvf. -z is for untaring gzip'ed tarballs.

Screw it, I can't use any of them.
I tried installing it to find out I have apache 1 something, I need 2.
I tried cvs I can't even figure out how to install the thing, I have no choice but to build my own.
I don't get why it didn't work, I did it about 7 times, I learnt a lot about python, and command line to try and get the damn thing to work.
I already removed subversion off my comptuer, it's too much, I also try the other one, I can't compile binaries, and all that crap, why don't they make this stuff in php/mysql instead.

Maybe I am looking for the wrong system.
I am wanting to get a simple system, just something I cando what I need to do.
I am getting ready to create a config folder, for websites, sort of like my idea of a general framework, with all my functions in it, my own system.
I want all of those online, so I can get to them online as the master copy, and upload them to my computer into the local whenever I start a new project, something like that.  It's starting to really piss me off, I have looked at almost everyone in existence in the past 2 days.

what's confusing me is why you're trying to install it onto Linux, as it's ultimately for your own benefit. I sent you a link that has a plugin for Dreamweaver as well as easy install instructions for TortoiseSVN. These can be installed quite easily on your local Windows computer - this is the way i currently have it set up.

businessman, make up your mind.  do you still want help, or are you sticking with your method?  if the latter, i'm locking this topic.

i should also add the following things because they seem to be prevalent in all of your threads:

a)  there's no need to constantly tell us how you've learned about something from fiddling with it.  thank you for announcing it, but it doesn't contribute to your question.

b)  we all realize (after the countless other threads like this) that if you can't find one or get one working that you like, you'll "have to build your own."  that's fine, but again, no need to announce it.

Ok, I am trying to get this to work, I have 2 folders on my website www.freelancebusinessman.com
one is repository, and one is checkout, I am trying to get this extension for dreamweaver to work, there is no manual, no installation, what do I do from here.  I have the tortious thing, I went into it, and created a repository in the folder repository on my local drive for my own website, then created a folder called checkout, how do I work this thing inside dreamweaver.

once it's installed the DW extension, you have a new menu at the top of DW (which i believe applies to the file currently open) and a context menu when you right click any of your files in the files list. once you've got the basics of TortoiseSVN, the dreamweaver extension will make perfect sense as it uses same terminology. Read the Tortoise manual first. It took me a bit of playing around with it and patience for me to get it to work, but then again I jumped into the deep end and didnt do the extensive research bit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.