DJ Entertainment

hypnoticvibe

at first glance, clean and simple, but a little boring.  perhaps some more saturation in your colours would help, although like you seem to be, i'm a fan of the monochromatic schemes.  in that case, rather than deliberately adding different colours to your scheme, maybe add some photos.  as a DJ, i'm sure a slick turntable photo in the header or something might break up the monotony a little.  [url=http://www.sxc.hu]http://www.sxc.hu[/url] has some great stock photos, just pay attention to the rights of use.

second, i'm not a huge fan of the font used in the main content area.  at the very least, make the line-height bigger as it feels jumbled.  a reduction in size or changing the style to arial (or something a little nearer the links on the left) might also make it look a little nicer.

finally, the footer is a bit unceremonious.  it just sort of ends with those three ill-fitting links.  they could do with some style upgrades, and if they were centered over the whole layout's width (rather than the right-side content area) it might help to give the layout a bit of closure.

hope this helps.

Il be honest and say that im not feeling the grey vibe. I can see where your trying to go with it, but it doesnt do it for me. Site seems a tad boring aswell, same pages, different text.

Change it up a little with images from the site that akitchin suggested, add a tad color.

[quote="akitchin"]second, i'm not a huge fan of the font used in the main content area.[/quote]
I'm nutorious for picking bad fonts. Want to recommend me a font?
[quote="akitchin"]at the very least, make the line-height bigger as it feels jumbled.[/quote]
Will do.
[quote="akitchin"]maybe add some photos[/quote]
I agree. I just don't where where I can put a photo that it won't be just floating there. That is, aside from the header. I'll try and pull something off with that in the mean time.
[quote="akitchin"]finally, the footer is a bit unceremonious.  it just sort of ends with those three ill-fitting links.  they could do with some style upgrades, and if they were centered over the whole layout's width (rather than the right-side content area) it might help to give the layout a bit of closure.[/quote]
Will do.

Thanks guys.

i would recommend the following, although i'm neither a style nor an accessibility guru:

verdana is good, but at lower sizes (10-11pt)
arial is also good, my preference is again for lower sizes (10-11pt)
tahoma isn't too bad

those are usually the three i stick to, with arial being by far my most common.  i use times new roman on occasion, but only in large volumes of text to maintain readability.

Apart from fixing the fonts - I dont really like what you have going on, on the left. That left column changes from page to page. It is much too long for the content in the page. On some pages there is more text in the left boxes than on the page.

Your shadow also is a tad extreme IMO.

Your horizontal navigation has a few flaws - on the left and right where the navigation bar starts and ends. Check this using another pc.

-steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=111212.msg450856#msg450856 date=1160644194]
Apart from fixing the fonts - I dont really like what you have going on, on the left. That left column changes from page to page. It is much too long for the content in the page. On some pages there is more text in the left boxes than on the page.[/quote]
Well, the content and navigation are never going to be the same height unless I create content based on the height of the navigation. Also, I didn't want any space at the bottom so I needed some height.

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=111212.msg450856#msg450856 date=1160644194]Your shadow also is a tad extreme IMO.[/quote]
For the buttons I think it's great. For the sides, I agree.

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=111212.msg450856#msg450856 date=1160644194]Your horizontal navigation has a few flaws - on the left and right where the navigation bar starts and ends. Check this using another pc.[/quote]
Nah, I can see it on my PC. It's the way I saved it. I'll redo it when I get bored.

@all:
I have made *some* changes so far. I gave the header a few more details. I gave the footer a little more establishment (just made it a block with different bg color and chaged the text - also added a background color change for hover). I increased the line height on the paragraphs. The design still a work in progress and I haven't devoted too much time yet. I'll try to add some energy while still abiding by the old "KISS" acronym over the course of the next couple weeks.

Thanks.

I have to ask - Is the banner too tall? It's at 177px. Any recommendation?
Are the buttons too tall? They're at 74px. Any recommendation?

[quote author=hypnoticvibe link=topic=111212.msg452091#msg452091 date=1160913377]
I have to ask - Is the banner too tall? It's at 177px. Any recommendation?
Are the buttons too tall? They're at 74px. Any recommendation?
[/quote]
considering how much whitespace is left over and considering it means that (on 1024x768) the content doesnt really start til nearly half way down the screen, i'd say so. it doesnt look [i]bad[/i], just possibly a tad wasteful. i'd probably say you could shave a good 50 or 60 pixels off the main banner and 20-25px off the height of the tabs. i actually think also the lineheight of the main text is a little too large. you could safely do all this without 'crowding' everything, and effectively bringing the content almost all onto one page without the need for scrolling down the page much.

Firefox/1024px

First impressions - blah, boring.  Given that the 'net is a visual medium and that your visitors are (presumably) looking for a DJ to add some excitement, the monchromatic look it a real downer, and the white body background looks as though you forgot to add something to it (dots, stripes, pale grey, etc.). Without going overboard, surely some colour can be introduced into the pages.  Something 'electric' might work.

The line height/font size as seen just isn't working.  I didn't look at the CSS, but I've found that a line height of 150% works best regardless of font size.

Personally, I don't like the fully-justified text. It's OK at small font sizes, but degenerates into a horrid sight at larger font sizes.

You can avoid the images looking as if they just dropped onto the page by applying a little border to them. Something like:

[code].float_right {
float: right;
margin: 0px 0px 2px 6px;
border:1px dotted #99c;
padding: 3px;
}[/code]

While compliance is admirable, will any of your visitors care or know the first thing about it?  There [i]must[/i] be better things to do in the footer than that - a link to the top of the page, some nomimal graphic embellishement.

[quote]. Also, I didn't want any space at the bottom so I needed some height.[/quote]
There are better ways to have the footer stay a minimum distance down the webpage without needing something to push it down!!!

[quote]I have to ask - Is the banner too tall? It's at 177px. Any recommendation? [/quote]
Yes indeed. Way too tall. Even the navigation tabs are too tall IMO.

A better header image/bar and it will really make the website look better.

-steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=111212.msg452226#msg452226 date=1160945528]There are better ways to have the footer stay a minimum distance down the webpage without needing something to push it down!!![/quote]
I have no doubt that there are. Unfortunately, I haven't thought of any. Will you share your idea(s)?

See for yourself at (obviously take whatever code you require):
http://skycon.csn.ul.ie/programme.php

There is a minimum height for the center main div.
Of course - looking at your website there - you want 100% height, cause otherwise you'd have to have a shadow at teh bottom.
There are also plenty of ideas on teh web - google will help you find them.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.