Programming language for developing a computer game??

Guys, i wish to learn developing a computer game..but i really wonder where should i start?? i mean what programming language should i master??? Is that action script??Let say i wish to create a guy and he can walk based on the keyboard arrow.

Thx in advance

It depends on what you want to aim for.

Web browser?  Either Flash/Actionscript, Java, or JavaScript + HTML 5.

XBox Live?  C# with the XNA framework.

A more robust console experience?  C++.

PC?  C++ or Python.

You might consider Lisp is you want an interesting, but brain curdling experience (look http://landoflisp.com).  There's more to gaming than just graphics.  We have the dedicated Peter O'tool blogging games development (http://lispgamesdev.blogspot.com/).

And, of course, my hobby is creating DSLs for role playing games, for which is excellent (if you're going to do somethings as pointless as DSL development, use Lisp).

I even have a game of Pac Man 'growing' using genetic algorithms.  Not a very good game mind you....

• 1 month later...

The language you use does not really matter. It's the platform you intend to develop for that does.

For example, it's perfectly fine to develop a computer game in Visual Basic using one of the graphic libraries(Ogre, Irrlitch, DirectX), but the problem is your game will only run on a Windows system that has the dependencies.  So it won't run on a Mac or iPhone.

Most commercial games you see on the PC/Windows are developed in C/C++. C/C++ languages have a LOT of libraries built for them, which help and speed up the game development process.

In reality, it's a good idea to know more than one language.

• 4 weeks later...

It depends. What are the requirements? Should it be a browser game? Should it be run on other operating system? Everyone would recommend another language and platform. The best is, if you decide what are your requirements and choose then the right platform and language.

For beginners, I recommend the XNA. It is based on C#, so without pointers and old programming guidelines. It is a modern programming language and easy to learn. The fundaments are not so hard. Try it and gather experience.

Besides programming there is also the modeling part. Be aware. Developing a game is not a thing which you learn over night or over day. Honestly, it is hard and takes time.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...