using onSelect to change div properties

AndyB

The thread title says what I wish I could do with both IE and Firefox (and I don't even care about the other browsers).

Full example viewable source at http://www.halfadot.com/temp/pick-colors.html

Basically I want to show selectable foreground/background colours in a specific div. The syntax below sort of works with IE except it declines to show the font size as defined, there are no colour changes with Firefox but the text is shown the right size. The code is pretty trivial ... except it doesn't work. Any javascript/CSS wizards want to point me in the right direction?

[code]select onChange='document.getElementById("testx").style.color = this.value;'[/code]

Well, the FF problem is simple enough -- your values aren't valid HTML colours, since the lack the leading '#'.  IE will let you get away with just about anything ;-)  Not sure about the font-size issue, I don't see what you're talking about.

[quote]weird indeed.  looks to me to be about 32px in IE6win.[/quote]

That's good enough for me. I'll plonk it on the client's site and if she says nothing I'll assume either she doesn't notice or that it works for her as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.