knock 2 questions out, 1 thread

Jocka

Alright. 2 completely different questions and one thread. Here we go.

1. Is there anything I can find FREE to do flash with? I mean, something worth using? I started learning flash a while back and my harddrive was fried and I lost my CD and I'm not paying for another one.. forget that lol. But I'd like to learn flash a little more but I don't want to pay those high prices for the software.

2. Where is the best place to find a job? For web designers, php developers, etc. I've tried scriptlance, php-freelancers.com, and all those BIDDING sites. Then I put a resume on monster and got a few emails but thats where it all stopped. I'd like to find a way to get jobs without bidding or getting my hopes up.

I'm working on a site right now so I can at least have a site for people to come to and maybe FIND ME. But that won't be done for a few more weeks more than likely. I need money now though and my part time job isn't doing the trick.

Post in freelancing.  It all depends on your skillset.  If all you know is web development, it's not going to cut it.  Very few companies need web developers.  They need application developers, computer scientists, DBAs, design engineers...

And coming from someone that just moved and got a new job, I dealt with at least 10 recruiters, some rather heavily, and I posted my resume on all the job sites, some I hadn't even heard of... and where did it get me?  Nowhere.  I ended up emailing a company that I randomly heard about and badda bing, I was in.  Granted, I had another interview that made me an offer the same day, but that's besides the point.  I have a pretty stacked resume for my age and it was still hard.

Good luck.

there are some free editors out there that give you a basic set of drawing tools and let you do some basic tween animations; just google "free flash editor"

as far as i know though, there's nothing out there for "free" that will let you do anywhere near what macromedia flash is capable of, even without the actionscript. 

Thanks for both replies.

Ober, you gave me little hope HAHA. But I'm going to keep trying anyway.

Crayon Violent, .. I think I hate flash now. lol. It seems a tad ridiculous that the only way to really do anything with flash is if I pay the creators of it..

well i'm a big supporter of the idea of "free for non-commercial use" or "learning edition" software.  Nobody wants to pay hundreds of dollars for software and find out it's not for them.

if you wanna go balls-to-the-wall, so to speak, Autodesk has a non-commercial use version of [url=http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639525]maya[/url] and [url=http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=6837720]motionbuilder[/url] (products of Alias, before Autodesk bought them out).  the main tradeoff is that it plasters a watermark on everything you make with them.  but at least you can download them and learn to use them.  A lot of professional design studios use these software titles. 

Rumor has it Autodesk will soon be discontinuing these learning edition versions of their software though, so if you're even remotely interested, i'd go download it now, cuz you probably won't have a chance to later.

p.s.- swish sucks. especially compared to flash ;)

I think SWiSH is what I used to use. Actually I'm pretty sure it is. I still get email from their site.. that was a few years ago lol.
I didn't like it though. I was a beginner and it wasn't for me lol. I learned very slowly with it. I think i'll go with that Autodesk thing for now at least.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.