Browser based WYSIWYG editors

michaellunsford

Client editable content, whether it's in a forum like this, a web-mail interface, or a CMS.

I've tested numerous designMode() editors. These things drive me nuts by creating depreciated <font> tags and countless other things that won't validate or even make sense. I'm guessing the designMode() part means the browser is at least partially to blame for this.

Is there a decent editor out there somewhere? What is your experience with the WYSIWYG editor in general?

[quote author=michaellunsford link=topic=111267.msg451128#msg451128 date=1160687074]
Wow, I don't know if I'll have time to test all these suggestions!  ;D
[/quote]

Well, considering they're all the same thing, I don't think you'll have much problem. ;)

And I'm casting my vote for TinyMCE as well.

[quote author=akitchin link=topic=111267.msg451214#msg451214 date=1160709361]
i'm having a hard time telling whether the sarcasm was totally missed, or totally volleyed.
[/quote]

I was actually trying to maintain the tone of the post, but I do see how it could be mistaken for "went over my head". :)

well you never know, some people don't have a sarcastic bone in their body.

either way, i'm sure with a crowd like this, any config questions or issues should be addressable in the javascript forum.  i know that there are some configurations or tricks that aren't easily found in the manual, at least not without some trial and error.

Okay, after testing all of those suggestions  ;) I'm here to report back!

At the moment, I'm still struggling to turn off self closing tags. Other than that it seems to be pretty modular and intuitive. I've already disabled that nasty <font> tag, and installed the php script compressor.

The rest is pretty routine for my WYSIWYG implementation: adding a PHP image upload feature, making the insert link page a little smarter, and killing that nasty "target" attribute.

Good advice, guys. Thanks for the help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.