PHP or JS

fugix

Excellent question! hmm tough choice...

do the gloves have cut-off fingers?

In most situations, a 4 wheel drive car will be better than gloves.  However, gloves work out better usually than a front wheel drive car.  A rear wheel drive car is always better than gloves, unless the gloves are actually mittens.

In most situations, a 4 wheel drive car will be better than gloves.  However, gloves work out better usually than a front wheel drive car.  A rear wheel drive car is always better than gloves, unless the gloves are actually mittens.

Unless you live in/sufficiently close to a city. I take a bus to work every day and only use my car about once a week. Heck, I can even walk to the grocery store. For me, a good pair of gloves is better than a car: I'd use them every day, and they'd pay themselves off quickly. A car, not so easily.

But then I could take the car, sell it, and buy myself a bunch of gloves. And have money left over. So in that sense a car is better... but that's because I'm forsaking the car for the gloves, so actually it's not better.

Which makes me wonder what it would take to make the car worth (metaphorically) more than the gloves. Cars have a high upkeep: maintenance, gas, and washing, for starters. It can cost a lot of money to keep one, and combined with the money spent just to acquire it that's a lot to spend. It's not all spent at once, though, so it's not like I'm out $50k at one go.

But gloves certainly don't last as long. Like, I just got my current pair about a month ago and they're starting to fuzz up. Might be a sign of lower quality thought: the pair before lasted a few years. Really nice gloves. Big and fluffy, great for the winter. Weren't waterproof though, that was a drawback. And a bit too fluffy to be able to use my fingers for anything more than simple tasks. Couldn't use a phone (capacitance or otherwise) so I'd have to take the gloves off if I needed to use one.

And now that I'm thinking about it, they weren't all that spectacular at keeping my hands warm. Much better than no gloves at all, don't get me wrong there. It's just that I could be outside for a half hour or so in chilly weather and my fingers would start getting numb. Luckily winter doesn't get that cold around here so it wasn't an issue very often... Does rain a lot, and the lack of waterproofing did present a problem a few times. Water would get in, hit my fingers, freeze up, and actually yeah, that's even worse than just a cold climate.

To be fair they were kinda waterproof. I think they were made of leather. Real leather, even. The problem was they had punched a bunch of tiny holes into, like, around the fingers. Ventilation I'm guessing. So the water would go in there and the gloves would get all wet and I'd have to take them off and dry them. Which was a hassle, I mean, the insides (cotton? I don't know, never really looked at the label) would take a long time to dry. But you wouldn't really know they were still wet just by looking: the outsides would be dry (and you could tell because the material would get a bit darker if it was wet) and so you'd think "Great! My fingers are cold so I'll just stick my hands back in there and be all toasty again!" and then you'd stick your hands back in there and OH JEEZ IT'S STILL WET AND COLD!

So then there's my current pair of gloves. Some kind of mechanic's gloves I think. Definitely not designed to keep hands warm, but then we're approaching summer anyways so that shouldn't be much of a problem. Like I said I take the bus, so it's nice to have some kind of hand protection. I do wash my hands obsessively, and I even carry around hand sanitizer (a spray tube thing, it's kinda cool, but I'm not sure how effective it actually is) if there's a real problem (but then the hand sanitizer takes a while to completely dry/evaporate, and meanwhile my hands are kinda sticky, kinda oily, and that really annoys me), but gloves are so much more convenient. Don't even have to take them off to use my phone: the material around the fingertips is thin enough that the capacitance magic still works... Aiming is a bit harder because it's not around the fingertip, but that was easy enough to get used to. Material is flexible so I can grab stuff. Even type, though it means hitting the backspace key a lot more often than it would if I were to type without the gloves. But then it's not like there are many situations where I would need to use gloves while typing, right? There's, like, ATMs, but the two kinds around here are either touchscreen or have large buttons.

Oh, yeah, there is that issue. So with ATMs you have to pull the ATM/debit card out of your wallet, right? That's where I keep mind. Whole purpose of having a wallet, isn't it? With these gloves it's hard to pull cards out. Not enough traction on the little bit of card surface that's exposed. So I have to pull a glove off, get the card, use the card, put it back, and put the glove back on. Problem comes up most often with, like, coffeeshops. I think I go to those more often than I do ATMs. Oh, and grocery shopping. ...You know, that's about all I go out to do nowadays: work, coffeeshop, ATM, grocery store. I really should get out more. Ohh... there's a couple movies I want to see... Don't remember which, but that's a great excuse to get out of the house. I could come back from work, change into street clothes, eat dinner, and go to a movie. Sounds like fun.

So yeah, I think gloves are more useful for me than a car.

@CV I have some fingerless gloves.  They're pretty cool.  You should get a pair.

just checked this thread for the first time today..wondering how cars and gloves are involved...lol

I think you answered your own question.

@CV I have some fingerless gloves.  They're pretty cool.  You should get a pair.

fingerless gloves have a big flaw for my line of work as a burglar, and therefore i prefer to use 4x4 for ram raiding

Yeah... as a heterosexual male, I prefer not to be fingered.

Hey guys this is really getting off topic.  Let's move the discussion forward ... what is a better sport to watch, Ice Hockey or Women's professional tennis? 

I enjoy watching the yellow angry cephalopods.

Hey guys this is really getting off topic.  Let's move the discussion forward ... what is a better sport to watch, Ice Hockey or Women's professional tennis? 

And Maq exposes himself as a hentai fan.  But more importantly, he exposed himself.

And Maq exposes himself as a hentai fan.  But more importantly, he exposed himself.

Yeah... Let's try to stay on topic and not ruin the thread, CV...  :P

Ok, I like women's tennis, ZING!

Funny, but besides the time I spend at work as a PHP developer, I have actually been writing more server side code using JavaScript than PHP these days. Which do I prefer? At the moment JavaScript, but I'm not sure I would build a complete application with node.js.

Funny, but besides the time I spend at work as a PHP developer, I have actually been writing more server side code using JavaScript than PHP these days. Which do I prefer? At the moment JavaScript, but I'm not sure I would build a complete application with node.js.

I have been finding myself using js more and more these days as well...need to find that perfect blend of both

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.